SLOW UPLOAD SPEED

SOLVED Go to solution
nelgnej
Level 3

I am on The NBN50 plan and FTTN. At present I can not get any better that 14mbps on the upload. TPG has said that in this area upload speeds of 34mbps were able to be reached. So why can't I get to 20mbps.

I have checked all system connecting and settings and they are set to the correct settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @nelgnej . It's worthwhile to see what TPG say about this, whether it is caused by "coexistence". 

Open a new thread explaining the problem; mention you are using ethernet computer.

Include the ping 192.168.1.1 to show there are no delays in your home network.

Include the ping and tracert to TPG to show delay between your router and their router. 

Include the DSL info and the TPG speed test.

Does the HG659 have a bandwidth control hidden from the user but accessible by TPG?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
david64
Level 15

Hi @nelgnej . Log in to router and check the DSL stats (Advanced/Status). It shows the down and up connection speeds and line characteristics back to the node.

Also, in Bandwidth Control, is it enabled and is there an upstream bandwidth? If it is enabled, the value should be 19500.

Is the upload speed of 14M on wifi device or ethernet computer? If wifi, is it 2.4G or 5G band?

Is it using TPG's Support page speed test?

Is it any better at other times of the day, ie. outside evening peak time?

nelgnej
Level 3

Hi @david64 , Unfortunately, I have a HUAWEI HG659, Bandwidth Width Control is not available to the user. I have very restricted options.

The only information I think is under DSL Information - Upstream Line rate (kbits/s) 22600 , Maximum upsteam rate: (kbits) 28600

It is ethernet connection, I have used the TPG's Support page speed test (14mbps during peak time), and with Measurement Lab speed test at 8:00am it was 9.97mbps and at 8:30am was 8.35Mbps

Evening speed between 10pm and 4am was16Mbps. This information was retrieved from the Upload File Data log from Acronis. 

david64
Level 15

Hi @nelgnej . When you use the TPG speed test, it shows a progress graph. Does the speed fluctuate much or does it settle on the speed shown at the end of the test?

Could you copy and paste in all the DSL info. I want to see how the down and up line rates correlate to your very good download speed. Also the SNR, attenuation, error counts. You must be close to the node to get a good download speed.

Need to ensure that other devices aren't active during the test and that the computer is not doing any background uploading. You can use the Task Manager Networking tab to see what Windows is doing.

A simple test you can do. Ping the router

ping -n 10 192.168.1.1

Response times should be 1 ms.

ping -n 10 www.tpg.com.au

My NBN25 plan gives response times about 5 ms. Yours should be about the same.

If you don't feel attached to your current IP address, you can turn the Huawei off for a minute and back on. It will negotiate a new connection with the node. When it has reconnected, check the DSL info and try a speed test.

nelgnej
Level 3

@david64 

Hi David, 

The ping to router was only 1ms, however the ping to TPG varied from 17ms to 66ms. See attached

The speed test from TPG was steady and was up to 16Mbps. See Attached

I have also included DSL info as well.

TPG are also going to do a firmware update.

There are no other uploads going on. I have also plugged the PC directly into the modem bypassing my switch.

The node in our case is the Telstra Exchange about 500 mts away, I was connected to solid copper wire at the time of first installation in 1993.

The download speed is good for our requiredments, however the Upload speed is critical.

Thank you for any help you can give.

david64
Level 15

Hi @nelgnej . The response times to TPG are pretty slow.

Do      tracert -d 203.26.27.38        several times to get an idea where the long response time is occurring.

If it is in NBN network or TPG.

At the end, do it without the -d and it shows the names of the routers along the way.

Did you end up turning the router off/on to get a new connection?

nelgnej
Level 3

@david64 

Thank you David,

After the Firmware was updated I rebooted the Router and have run the Trace as you have recommended.

See attached

Regards

Glen Jones

david64
Level 15

Hi @nelgnej . In the tracert command, the last number should be 38, not 28.

But it does show that there is a big delay getting through the NBN network. Between line 1 and line 2. This could be the main cause of slow upload.

Regarding the dsl info from before, I don't know what the values should be. Upstream line attenuation seems a bit high.

nelgnej
Level 3

@david64 

Thank you for all your help, I know now where to concentrate my efforts. If it is theNBNN network then there is not much I can do until all the houses in our area have been changed from analogue to theNBNN and revisit the problem then. There are reports that once everybody is on theNBNN in your area speed and reliability MIGHT improve.

Again Thank for all your Help.

Glen Jones  

david64
Level 15

Hi @nelgnej . It's worthwhile to see what TPG say about this, whether it is caused by "coexistence". 

Open a new thread explaining the problem; mention you are using ethernet computer.

Include the ping 192.168.1.1 to show there are no delays in your home network.

Include the ping and tracert to TPG to show delay between your router and their router. 

Include the DSL info and the TPG speed test.

Does the HG659 have a bandwidth control hidden from the user but accessible by TPG?