Get online support

Setting up a second router

hianchan2
Level 3

Hi,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction, here.  Current setup is :

HFC NBN broadband 50/20 plan

Primary router is TP Link AC1600

I purchased a second router TP Link AX5400 Model no. VX420-G2v.

I am trying to connect the second router with the following phycal connection:

NBN modem--->AC1600(LAN port)--->internal HH ethernet cabling---->AX5400(WAN port)

But I can't get internet.  If I connect AX5400 directly to the NBN modem, I get internet.  I have changed the default username and password in the "Internet" section of the router to my TPG login.  Have also hard reset the modem.  Other than "Internet" section, I have not changed any settings in the AX5400.  Anyone can shine some light here?  

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Master

Hi @hianchan2 . Try setting the VX420 to Dynamic IP (instead of PPPoE). VX420 will get its ip address from main router. In main router, set up address reservation for the mac address of the VX420 for when you need to login to it. Connect VX420 WAN port to main router LAN port.

JunTina
Level 2

Hi David,

Are you able to provide more information/details  on how to set this up especially for TPG supplied-modem?

I tried the following but still I can't get any internet connection via the Wifi of the secondary modem.

My primary modem is VX220-G2v while my secondary modem VX420-G2v, both supplied by TPG.

1) On my secondary modem VX420-G2v,
-I did a factory reset and logon as admin
-In the INTERNET CONNECTION SETUP, the default userid is tpg_acs@tpg_acs and default password is tpg_acs.
So I changed the userid and password to the same username and password that TPG gave me for the primary modem.
-In the Network Settings, under EWAN, delete the Connection Type PPPoE"
Then create a new connection type PPPoE with VLAN ID= 1.
Enter the userid and password that was used in the EWAN settings of primary modem.
-In the wireless settings, create a new SSID with suffix (or retain existing Wifi SSID if you want)
-In the LAN SETTINGS, under DHCP, change the IP address of the modem from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5
Then disable DHCP and IGM snooping. Retain the address pool of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.
-Click SAVE and reboot the secondary modem.

2) On my primary modem VX2200-G2v, 

EWAN settings are as follows:
WAN Interface NameSmiley Tongueppoe_2_3
Internet Connection Type: PPPoE
VLAN ID: Enabled
VLAN ID: 2
Username: <my TPG username>
Password: <my TPG password>
Authentication Type: AUTO_AUTH
IPv4: Enable

LAN SETTINGS are as follows:
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IGMP Snooping: Enable
DHCP: Enable
DHCP Server is selected
IP Address Pool: 192.168.1.100 to 192.168..199
Address Lease Time: 1440

Address Reservation Settings:
MAC Address: < mac address of my secondary router VX420-G2v>
Reserved IP Address: 192.168.1.5

STATIC ROUTING SETTINGS are as follows:
Wan Interface: pppoe_2_3

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I then connected a CAT5 cable from the WAN port of the secondary modem VX420-G2v to the LAN port of
the primary modem VX220-G2v.

When I tried to connect to the Wifi SSID of the secondary modem from may laptop, I was able to connect successfully.
However there is no internet on it. If I issued "ipconfig" on my laptop via CMD, I don't see the
ethernet connection ip address 192.168.1.5.