TPG Community

Get online support

TPG FTTB - Using 3rd Party Router & WiFi

leezhernje
Level 2

Hello there,

I have this device AX5400 AX73 from TP-LINK (I was using this when i had a NBN FTTP - i just recently moved to a place that doesn't have FTTP). 

Now i'm using TPG's default FTTB (DSL) router AX5400 VX420-G2H. 

My question is; can i configure the VX520-G2H as just a modem and use the AX73 as a router & WiFi? If yes, is there any reference configurations which i could follow to make this happen?

Thank you so much in advance.

Note : The TPG FTTB with the VX520-G2H, i'm experiencing very bad latency and drop outs. I can't even have a normal Zoom call without lagging, gaming just became impossible.

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @leezhernje

The TPG FTTB service is bundled with a VoIP service.

If you'll bridge the provided modem/router, then the VoIP will not work.

If that's fine, then continue to bridge with VLAN ID 2 and configure the PPPoE on your router.

Test if that will resolve the issue, but we've responded to your PM to check on the latency issue.

BasilDV

leezhernje
Level 2

Hey @BasilDV 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I won't be needing the VOIP. Is there a tutorial or guide on how to configure the VLAN ID 2 & bridging it to the 3rd party router? 

Thank you so much!

BasilDV

Hi @leezhernje

We'll check on this and will provide information once available.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @leezhernje .

The following has instructions on putting the VR1600 into bridge mode but might be similar for VX420. VOIP won't work in bridge mode. 

Basically, delete existing VLAN 2 connection and create a new VLAN 2 in bridge mode.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

You won't be able to access the VX420 until you do factory reset and config. Wifi and LAN ports won't work except the LAN connection to AX73.

Set up AX73 with PPPoE and username and password. All its functions will be usable.

Before doing this, you should get your connection checked using the VX in normal mode. It could be fault on your phone line or FTTB equipment fault. Use the VX DSL stats to check line quality. Use speed test on TPG support page.

BasilDV

Thank you @david64.

It is confirmed that both the VR1600 and the VX420 have the same instructions for setting in bridge mode.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@BasilDV . The instructions in the link you gave don't mention deleting the existing vlan 2 connection first, unless that point is buried at the bottom of the thread.