TPG Community

Get online support

TPG nightmare issues

JunTina
Level 2

I have moved to TPG from Telstra since 13 June 2024 and it is a nightmare since then.

First I have consistent drop out issues (5+ times a day) and also not getting the correct speed for 100 Mbps as I am just getting 50 to 60 Mbps. I have called the Technnical Support many times but they cannot resolve those 2 issues (dropout issue and speed issue). The dropout issue was finally resolved when I was migrated from FTTC to FTTP last 31 Jul.

I am now on 250Mbps but still not getting the correct speed on 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz on the TPG-supplied modem. I am only getting between 80Mbps to 160Mbps on 5Ghz and my equipment is only 1 metre away  and has line of sight to the modem. There are also no walls or any blockages between the equipment and the modem. If I use a cable connection from the modem to my equipment, I get the speed (eg between 180 to 230 Mbps which is about right on busy day/hour).

TPG initially supplied a TP Link Model VX420-G2v, then they replaced it with TP Link Model VX220-g2v and again, they replaced the TP Link Model VX220-g2v with another TP Link Model VX220-g2v  as they think that the modem is the problem.

TPG also sent a technician 2 times to my place and she did factory reset, etc but still the same problem.

I have disabled the band steering but still the same issue. I have analysed my network using Wifi analyser and  changed the channel width and/or channel itself  and making sure that I am using the channels that my neighbour's Wifi are not using but still the same. So all technically possible workaround has been done already. The TPG technical team has called me between 6 to 10 times with different person on each call and they seem not to understand the problem as they keep on telling me that nothing is wrong with my NBN connection.  I am contemplating to ditch the TPG supplied modem and buy my own but I am worried that I will run into other issues and TPG will say that "I am on my own" as the modem that I am using is not TPG supplied modem. Finally, I bought an Access-Point  and connected it to the modem. The AP that I bought is a TP Link RE700X AX3000 (cost about $150)  which can also be used as a Wifi Extender. However I used it as an AP by connecting a 20cm metre CAT5e cable from the TP Link Model VX420-G2v to the TP Link RE700X AX3000 so the AP and Modem can sit side by side. Then I connect my equipment using the SSID of the AP instead of the TP Link VX420-G2V modem SSID. When I did that, I am now getting the correct speed using 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz but using the AP SSID instead of the modem SSID. I have bought  another TP Link RE700X AX3000 and run a cable on the ceiling from the modem to the AP and installed it near my son's room as he is also frustrated about the speed. My son's room is about 30 meters away from the modem with lots of obstruction. Now he is happy with it. So far my cost is about $300 for the 2 TP Link RE700X AX3000, $50 for the cable, and $250 for the electrician to install a powerpoint near the ceiling of my son's room to plug the TP Link RE700X AX3000 and to run the CAT 5e cable on the ceiling for a total cost of $600. Is there anybody who encountered similar issues with TPG? Do you think I should ask TPG for a refund for the issues that I encountered for the last 60+ days?

2 REPLIES 2
alanguide
Level 7

Did you leave Telstra becaue of dropouts or other technical problems with them? Noted that your original dropout issue was resolved when you went to FTTP. My experience was the same. The stretch of copper -- with inevitable dodgy joints -- involved with FTTN or even FTTC is the usual reason for drop outs there. My copper joints were becoming more and more sensitive to changes in humidity, temperature and vibration. The other point is that I've had the Vx420 for a while and have found it excellent (on the 100 plan).

kate_

Hey @JunTina, we want to check out what's happened and see how we can help out.

Send me a private message and we'll take a look at your service.