TPG Community

Get online support

Unable to connect Apple TV wirelessly to new TPG supplied modem/router

david64
Level 15

Hi @SidneyReilly . Did you resolve printer not connecting to 5G modem? Does printer use 2.4G band only or both?

On your 5G modem (5866T?), do you have access to the wifi settings, or have they disappeared?

Do you have different SSID names, or are they the same?

SidneyReilly
Level 2
Hi David,

Thanks for your message.

I have not resolved the problem with my wireless printer. Canon confirmed it only works on 2.4G.

I thought I had resolved this by connecting my printer to a 2.4G wifi extender, but I’ve never been able to print as I’m told my printer is offline.

I’ve never succeeded in accessing the wifi settings on my 5G modem, even when I had someone from TPG on the phone trying to talk me through it.

I’ll be emailing TPG separately regarding my 5G connection, which has been extremely unreliable over the last few months.

Regards,

SidneyReilly
david64
Level 15

@SidneyReilly . Look at this thread. It has URLs which might give access to the wifi settings on the 5G modem. The idea is to change the SSID names to be different from each other. It might allow the printer to connect. The extender might have had the same problem as the printer.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/TPG-5G-Home-Broadband-3-Month-Honest-Review/m-p/113401/highl...

If the URLs don't work, do factory reset on modem. Login immediately and make wifi changes, including security settings. Then PPPoE settings. 

BTW, is there any setting relating to VLAN ID, like on regular routers?

Have you had occurrences of the throughput decreasing after some duration of usage?

Does the printer have a USB or ethernet connection, or just wifi?

lataliana
Level 2

Recounting my story for another sad soul out there that might experience the same thing. After hours of researching and adjusting the Sagemcom 5866t modem setting, I can say pretty confidentally that the Apple TV 3rd gen simply will not connect.

- I've split out SSIDs to ensure the Apple TV is specifically connecting to the 2.4GHz band

- I've changed WiFi mode to 5 (from 6)

- I've updated Apple TV software

- Ethernet has zero problems, but I picked up the Apple TV to mirror my MacBook Air. Both devices need to be connected to the same WiFi network for this to happen

- Also confirmed that my iPhone 11 iOS 16 personal hot spot does not work either!!!

It's actually ridiculous. Here I was thinking, sure, let me give Apple TV a try again instead of a Google Chromecast.

The funny thing, similar thing happened to me back in 2016. Picked up a Apple TV 2nd gen second hand and at the time my 2010 MacBook Pro did not connect due to iOS issues.

Back to the Chromecast.

saqibmc5g
Level 2
Ive just recently got the Sagecomm 5g modem from TPG and same issue cant airplay from Macbook or iphone to my samsung tv. Went back to my old nbn modem and it works fine. I can change the wifi security but options are limited(wpa2 wpa3 peraonal) as one option or no security. Wonder if the Nokia modem has the same issue?
david64
Level 15

Hi @saqibmc5g . Does the Mac and the TV each get an ip address when you look in the Sagemcom admin?

If they do, can you ping the TV ip address from the Mac?

If ping fails, can you check AP Isolation setting in Sagemcom. It should be disabled to allow wifi devices to communicate.

For some reason, the Mac and TV have to be connected to the same wifi network, either both on 2.4GHz or both on 5GHz.

Look at the wifi settings on your previous router and set the Sagemcom to the same. Turn off the previous router and retry with the Sagemcom.

saqibmc5g
Level 2

Hi @david64 yes the Samsung Tv is getting IP and I can ping it from my mac on both 2.4 and 5gz networks. Everything works on the Smart tv including all apps. Only Airplay fails. 

Connecting the tv to router directly allows airplay to work.  

Ap Isolation - There is no option for this but I'm assuming it's related to the guest network which is off.

Wpa2-Wpa3-personal is the only security option on the wifi network. The other option is no security. 

I think the router needs WPA2 only option added to allow apple devices to airplay. 

ktbowden23
Level 2

I have exactly the same issue! I changed over my internet to the new 5G modem and now i can no longer Airplay anything on my samsung TV. 

The internet works fine across the house but sadly no Airplay at all! 

Did you find a fix for this issue? Im desperate to get it working again. 

Samsung said its a network issue and TPG have confirmed that the connection is fine, but it looks like its actually a modem issue. Is that correct? 

Shane

Hi @ktbowden23 

We are not aware of the required settings for the Airplay to work hence it is possible due to CG-Nat.

5G Home Broadband uses CG-NAT. Carrier-grade NAT (Network Address Translation) is a type of network that assigns services with a private IP address, instead of a dynamic public IP address. Our network will then translate that private address into a public address. This means that the following items (which depend on internal NAT) will not work on 5G Home Broadband:

• Port forwarding
  • Hosting web, email or file servers internally
  • Smart Home systems (e.g. accessing security camera footage remotely, home automation and printers)
  • Remote Access (i.e. accessing your home computer or devices from another location)

Regards,

I have exactly the same issue! I changed over my internet to the new 5G modem and now i can no longer Airplay anything on my samsung TV. 

The internet works fine across the house but sadly no Airplay at all! 

Did you find a fix for this issue? Im desperate to get it working again. 

Samsung said its a network issue and TPG have confirmed that the connection is fine, but it looks like its actually a modem issue. Is that correct? 

ktbowden23
Level 2
Meaning…..No matter how much trouble shooting I do. My new TPG 5G Home broad band will NOT allow me to AirPlay.
So I should actually change back to my old internet if I ever want to use airplay with my TV