TPG Community

Get online support

Vodafone NL1902 modem problem

djitnah62
Level 3

Hello 

I am having a problem with my wireless broadband from TPG.  It has been working fine for many months.  But recently I started having problem connecting to some sites, eg  Google sites, eg mail.google.com (Gmail) BUT also tpg.com.au. ( am now using hot spoting on my mobile phone to connect). 

I have tried different  laptops, different browsers (Firefox, Edge, Chrome) but same result. I have no problem ar all, if I hotpsot to my phone (on Vodafone) on the same computer. And my laptop works no problem at all at work.

I have reset the Vodadone NL1902 to default - but still same result.

It seems like the problem happens either with long urls, or when there is a redirection getting to the website.

Any ideas what I can do?  

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @djitnah62 . Does the NL1902 have a label with the real manufacturer and model number?

What type of NBN connection do you have?

Regarding  tpg.com.au  , does it always fail or only sometimes?

Is the laptop using ethernet or wifi when it fails?

How does it show up in the browser? Timeout error message? Or, does nothing?

When you can't connect, try this in Command window:
ping tpg.com.au

tracert tpg.com.au

If it is some other site giving the problem (eg. youtube.com, facebook.com, ...), do ping and tracert to it.

When problem happens, is it the whole internet that fails, or just some websites?

Any change to the lights on router or NBN box?

djitnah62
Level 3

Hi David64

Does the NL1902 have a label with the real manufacturer and model number?

NO it only has Vodafone branding on it .. and says model NL1902 01 01

What type of NBN connection do you have?
Fixed wireless (4G) , so not really NBN

Regarding  tpg.com.au  , does it always fail or only sometimes?

Its failing always now

Is the laptop using ethernet or wifi when it fails?
Wifi usually, but also tried ethernet cable and same issue

How does it show up in the browser? Timeout error message? Or, does nothing?

It waits for ever - no error message
Its the same for other sites that I cannot get to - I am a Monash University Staff, there are many sites at Monash I cannot access, but not all.

When you can't connect, try this in Command window:

ping tpg.com.au

It does not ping tpg.com.au, but at the same time I can ping other sites, eg: microsoft.com.au, abc,net.au - no problem. Youtube,com is ok too

tracert tpg.com.au

Its the same with tracert (ie works with microsoft.com,au, but goes nowhere with tpg.com.au)  Youtube,com is also fine.

If it is some other site giving the problem (eg. youtube.com, facebook.com, ...), do ping and tracert to it.

When problem happens, is it the whole internet that fails, or just some websites?
just some sites - Foe example I cannot get yahoo.com.au, but I can get www.microsoft.com.au.  mail.google.com, duckduckgo.com fails.  But bing  is ok.  

Any change to the lights on router or NBN box?
Its fixed wireless - not using NBN box.

Bur as I said, all works perfectly fine if I hotspot on my phone instead of using fixed wireless connection.  For info I am with vodafone for phone. (So same network as TPG  ?? )

Thanks again.

david64
Level 15

@djitnah62 . Can you do these commands on your ethernet computer. Just copy and paste the results back here.

Pick a site that works. Do tracert and ping to it.

Do tracert and ping to  tpg.com.au.

Do   nslookup tpg.com.au

Do   ipconfig/all     copy/paste the ethernet adapter info.

What are the DNS addresses configured in NL1902?

BTW, TPG's network is stuffed up tonight because I can't do ping or tracert to tpg.com.au. Starts out ok, but then dives off into Amazon servers and gets lost. But I can still browse to tpg.com.au. I'm wondering if TPG is going to outsource their network as well.

BasilDV

Hi @djitnah62 

We'd like to check on this further and see what we can do to resolve this.

Please send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV