TPG Community

Get online support

using an email client with opensuse and tpg

SOLVED Go to solution
mogplus8
Level 2

Hi all,

I have used a number of different Linux distros over the years and have used Thunderbird quite  happily on all of them. Recently I tried openSuse for the first time, and have found that I cannot get Thunderbird to work. It will not connect to the server. I have also tried Evolution and Claws (other Linux email clients) and neither of them will connect either. Evolution said "Peer failed to perform TLS handshake: A packet with illegal or unsupported version was received." Claws said "POP< +OK Begin TLS negotiation, mate" then, helpfulle "socker error". Thunderbird only told me that it couldn't connect and it must be a configuration error.

I have posted on the openSuse forum too and apparently I am the only openSuse user having this problem. Everybody else has had no problems using Thunderbird with openSuse.

So it must be a combination of TPG and openSuse. So... just wondering if anybody has any idea what could be causing the problem?

All advice gratefully received,

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @mogplus8 . Thunderbird v78 has deprecated the TLSv1.0 being used by TPG's mail server. There are config changes you can make to TB to let it use TLSv1.0.

Have a look at this.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/TPG-email-account-inaccessible-with-Thunderbird-7...

Read through the whole lot but take note at the end from David1010. 

Search in Community for other articles on Thunderbird. Search:   thunderbird AND tls

Are you familiar with ethernet packet capture software? This will verify how Evolution and Claws connect to mail server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @mogplus8 . Thunderbird v78 has deprecated the TLSv1.0 being used by TPG's mail server. There are config changes you can make to TB to let it use TLSv1.0.

Have a look at this.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/TPG-email-account-inaccessible-with-Thunderbird-7...

Read through the whole lot but take note at the end from David1010. 

Search in Community for other articles on Thunderbird. Search:   thunderbird AND tls

Are you familiar with ethernet packet capture software? This will verify how Evolution and Claws connect to mail server.

mogplus8
Level 2

Thank you @david64 that did it.

Unfortunately I know nothing about ethernet packet capture software. I'm just an amateur hobbyist, not within cooee of a guru. I only tried those other email clients to see if the problem was with TB or to do with my setup. Turns out it was neither! The fun of playing with Linux...

;-)