TPG Community

Get online support

International sms stopped coming through

NatalieK
Level 2

Hello,

Since 23 Feb, international sms sent by my friends from Russia to me (I'm in Australia) do not come through to my mobile.

If I send them a text, they receive it. If they send a reply, I do not receive it.

If I send a text to a friend in Australia, I receive it; if they reply, I receive it.

Before that, I had another phone on which sms from Russia would come through - I was able to send and receive messages to and from them. I had to upgrade to Samsung 24 plus as TPG closed 3G. Now I do not receive sms from Russia.

I tried all the settings on my phone, rebotting the phone, clearing SMS app cache, all to no avail.

Could you please help?

Thank you.

Natalie

4 REPLIES 4
BasilDV

Hi @NatalieK 

Do your friends receive any bounce back error message upon replying to your SMS?

Did they check if their credit is enough to send the SMS?

Did it start right after you upgrade to a new phone? Or it worked for a few days, then suddenly not?

BasilDV

NatalieK
Level 2
Hi @BasilDV ,
Thank you for replying.

> Do your friends receive any bounce back error message upon replying to your SMS?

No error messages. They see what they sent me but that message does not appear on my phone.

> Did they check if their credit is enough to send the SMS?

Yes, the credit is enough to send SMS. They did a test - tried to send sms within Russia to another person in Russia - everything goes out and gets received ok.

I also tried with a different friend who is in Russia - he receives the sms that I send him, but when he sends me a reply, his message does not appear on my phone.

> Did it start right after you upgrade to a new phone? Or it worked for a few days, then suddenly not?

It started right after I switched to the new phone. The old phone is LG, new is Samsung. The last message on LG from Russia was successfully received by me on Feb 13.
On Feb 23 I sent an sms, they received it, but their reply didn't appear on my phone.

This week I also tried this - put the SIM back into the old LG phone and text to Russia - the recepient receives my text but their reply does not appear on my old phone.

I also did another test - sent an sms to a friend who is in another country (not Russia) - they received it; when they replied, their sms appeared on my new phone successfully.

I checked my Samsung phone's settings - cant find anything that would say to block texts from certain countries. Don't know if this is relevant - the new phone automatically marked some incoming phone calls as Potential Fraud, so I thought that might have something similar enabled for sms but can't find anything.

Before switching to the new phone, I was in contact with TPG support about 3G (as LG phone stopped receiving and making calls). The support person had to reset network settings for me to see if that would help with my old phone (it didn't, so I had to buy a new phone). I don't know if this is relevant to the sms issue.

Don't know what else to check...

Thank you,
Natalie

Ahra_G

Hi @NatalieK, please send us a private message and we'll assist further. 

NatalieK
Level 2
Thank you @Ahra_G. I've sent a message to you.

Thank you,
Natalie