TPG Community

Get online support

TPG NBN Moden Autoconfiguration

SOLVED Go to solution
Vincent2022
Level 2

Dear Sir,

I have been a TPG customer for over 10 years and am very happy with your service from ADSL to NBN. WORKING FROM HOME becomes more and more prominent and we become increasingly dependent on reliable internet service, hence I keep my old  TPG Huawei modem as a backup.

My question is: Should my existing modem go down, when I plug in my old TPG Huawei modem, reset to factory default and connect it to my phone socket (NBN FTTN), would the old modem be able to auto configure its internet service and VOIP service ( TPG Voice Service). I note from other forums that it can normally connect to the internet but not VOIP service and has to contact your enginners to get the VOIP service connected. If this is the case, I would suggest that the VOIP could also be included in the auto configuration or be allowed to be manually configured by inputting user name and password in the setup.

By the way, when I got my new modem in February, the service I got here and your engineers was exceptional.

Best Regards,

Vincent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@BasilDV . I accept your comments on VOIP. But, why do you say the internet will go down. It goes down as the routers are swapped over. If the user has not changed their username or password, the Huawei should come up in a few minutes, albeit without VOIP. If the user has changed username or pasword, it is just a matter of changing in the config, not even having to do reset. While user waits for a replacement, the landline number can be diverted to a mobile.

@Vincent2022 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @Vincent2022

If you'll connect the old Huawei modem/router to the wall socket where your current modem is connected, then the internet will go down.

The VoIP service can only work with 1 device at a time as it is configured using the MAC address / Serial number for it to be recognized by the server. 

For security reasons, the manual VoIP configuration is not possible with TPG provided modem/router.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@BasilDV . I accept your comments on VOIP. But, why do you say the internet will go down. It goes down as the routers are swapped over. If the user has not changed their username or password, the Huawei should come up in a few minutes, albeit without VOIP. If the user has changed username or pasword, it is just a matter of changing in the config, not even having to do reset. While user waits for a replacement, the landline number can be diverted to a mobile.

@Vincent2022 

Vincent2022
Level 2

Hi david64,

You are right. I tested my old modem and it could still be connected to the internet even without resetting. So I now have a peace of mind that should my new modem fail, I could still have access to internet with my old modem though without VOIP. But I think I can then send in my old modem MAC and serial number to TPG to re-register VOIP with its server.