TPG Community

Get online support

why being forced to buy a modem?

nenad1
Level 2

hello tpg admin/mods

I just got TPG FTTP and I was forced to buy a TPG modem on a 6 month contract because I wanted tpg home phone. However the home phone component is NOT used by the modem, but by the nbn connection port UNI-V1.

So why was I forced to buy the tpg modem? 

Why is TPG forcing you to buy a TPG modem when the home phone / voip component isnt used by the modem? 

7 REPLIES 7
alanguide
Level 7

Don't you use the Internet? The modem/router has many other essential functions apart from its ATA now not used (when on FTTP).

nenad1
Level 2

again your have missed the point.

TPG is focing you to buy THEIR modem when you don't require it, since the home phone/voip service is run through the NBn connection box Uni-v1 port.

TPG should change their ordering system, so you can order a FTTP and home phone service without having to be forced to buy their TPG modem.

And they should now refund the price of the delivery I get charged and take me off the 6 months contract because of it, because its a misleading purchase. 

I have my own, brand newish modem I can use.

This would be a very interesting thing the ACCC / Communications ombudsman would want to hear about.

alanguide
Level 7

Fair 'nuff! Missed that point!

Shane

Hi @nenad1 

Thanks for sharing this. May we know where you processed the application? We'll take this as a complaint, and to better understand the situation, flick me a message with your details via PM.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

hello tpg admin/mods

I just got TPG FTTP and I was forced to buy a TPG modem on a 6 month contract because I wanted tpg home phone. However the home phone component is NOT used by the modem, but by the nbn connection port UNI-V1.

So why was I forced to buy the tpg modem?

Why is TPG forcing you to buy a TPG modem when the home phone / voip component isnt used by the modem? 

nenad1
Level 2
It was done via phone call. However the same issue arises when placing a order online, via the tpg website. It's still forcing you to buy a tpg modem to have a home phone when the address is serviced by a fttp connection. So tpg. You have a bit of a problem, it's a deceitful practise. Your website (and phone sales) need to be fixed to reflect that a home phone service is done via the univ port on a fttp connection and hence not forcing you to buy a tpg supplied modem.
IanAskQuestion
Level 2

They should also be trained to offer a conversion/porting of the home number to a VOIP phone and supply a VOIP phone instead of the TPG equipment in my opinion.

The sales team currently has no idea about porting a land line to a VOIP phone line and keeping the number. That is why I say they need training and a checklist to go through to ask if people want to do this.

Would save people over $60 per month.

BasilDV

Hi @nenad1 

We'd like to have a better understanding of the situation.

If you already have a TPG account, please send us a private message and we'll see how can we help.

BasilDV