TPG Community

Get online support

5ghz wifi loses connection archer vr1600v

DavidGC
Level 3

Update: New modem/router arrived this past week.
The same problem exists on the new hardware.

Previously, I was on hardware version 1. The current info is...
Hardware:  Archer VR1600v v2 00000000
Firmware:  1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n

@chicaneau it looks like we're on the same hardware now.

Has this problem ever happened to you again since upgrading to build 200826 Rel.77218n ?

The VR headset was kicked off 3 times tonight, and the Apple TV was kicked off twice. Since it seems to happen most when we're using them simultaneously, I took the hit tonight and switched off the headset so my partner could watch a movie. Looks like I'll be in touch with tech support again soon.

SteveK
Level 5

@DavidGC wrote:

Update: Resetting back to factory settings after the firmware update did not fix the problem.

Why don't you just connect it to 2.4Ghz?

I have a china media box that is 5Ghz capable, but it is flakey... set it to 2.4Ghz and now it is bulletproof.

And have you ensured the VR headset has the latest firmware?

My personal wifi settings (never an issue):

2.4Ghz - Ch6 - 20mhz - transmit = high

5Ghz - Ch44 - 40mhz - transmit = high

DavidGC
Level 3

@SteveK wrote:

Why don't you just connect it to 2.4Ghz?

The 2.4 GHz wifi network is not fast enough.

@SteveK wrote:

And have you ensured the VR headset has the latest firmware?

Yes, but the VR headset is not the only device that is affected by this.
The Apple TV also frequently gets kicked off the 5GHz network.

Laptops and even wifi speakers have also been kicked off (although we switched the wifi speakers over to the 2.4GHz network many weeks ago, so they're no longer affected).

@SteveK wrote:

5Ghz - Ch44 - 40mhz - transmit = high

I tried this on the previous router (hardware version 1) a month or two ago, and it didn't solve the issue.

I'll go ahead and try it on the new router (hardware version 2) to see if it makes any difference, since it won't hurt anything to try again.

@SteveK wrote:

I have a china media box that is 5Ghz capable, but it is flakey... set it to 2.4Ghz and now it is bulletproof.

Are you sure it's your media box that is flakey?

I wonder if maybe you've had the same problems with the 5GHz wifi network on your Archer as the rest of us.

SteveK
Level 5

The China Box works perfect on 2.4Ghz, streaming at 1080p -- so I leave it on that.

Very surprised to hear your VR doesnt work on 2.4Ghz... very strange.

All other devices, Macs, Chromebook, ATV4K all work perfectly on the 5Ghz... as above.

Beacon level = 25

RTS = 2300

all devices never miss a beat.

DavidGC
Level 3

Sometime in the past day or so, my firmware was updated remotely.

Firmware is now 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200826 Rel.77218n

I think this is the same firmware version that @chicaneau was upgraded to awhile back.

Since the firmware upgrade to 200826 Rel.77218n, no device has been kicked off of the 5GHz network.

I will continue to monitor the situation over the next week. Sometimes the issue does not appear until the weekend, which is when the modem/router gets used the most. So we'll see how it does over the next week.

Very surprised to hear your VR doesnt work on 2.4Ghz... very strange.

It's normal. The streaming application states that only 5 GHz networks should be used because 2.4GHz will be insufficient. Games are unplayable over 2.4GHz with audio skipping, visual artefacts, and full or partial black screens. Here's an example of the difference (ignore the low framerates): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-os7uNX-FJt8fcG0XRrLN98EuoGLpebr/view?usp=sharing

It gets much worse if there's more movement, which is most of the time.

brendanwm91
Level 2

I am a new customer with TPG (it has only been about a week) and this has happened to me too. The 2.4GHz network is unreliable and sometimes the speed drops way down to 5mbps.. This is incredibly frustrating. How do I go about requesting a firmware upgrade too?

SGT
Level 3
Level 3

Just as an update too..

I phoned about this. The operator asked me to reset the modem, which I did.

5ghz, which wasn't even connecting prior to this, then started working again.

We haven't had too much hassle since then (5ghz still works), but our speed is limitted to a max of around 25mb/s, which TPG (probably rightly) says is to do with our local wiring etc.

Edit: Oh, I phoned to ask for new firmware but the tech person didn't exactly blow off the idea, but they certainly weren't forthcoming with offering that as an alternative.

The resetting did help though, for now.

chicaneau
Level 4

Hi @DavidGC , i've had no problems with my 5GHz wifi since the firmware upgrade. 

However, something is still up with the 2.4GHz wifi as I've got 3 Cygnett wifi power points that fall off the network without fail within a 6-12hr period. I suspect something is up with the router - I'll log this with support now actually. 

DavidGC
Level 3

Thanks @chicaneau 

That's great news about the 5 GHz network.

Hoping for the same outcome on my side here, especially now that we're on the same firmware.

Sorry to hear about the power points. I've also got 3 wifi power points connected to the 2.4GHz network, but they're Meross brand and haven't had any issues so far. It's been well over 24 hours on the new firmware with no issues, but still too soon to say for sure that everything is totally fixed.

chicaneau
Level 4

Hi @DavidGC, keep us posted with how you go with your 5GHz wifi.

I am totally baffled why TPG would not roll this out across all their customers at least in a coordinated fashion. How many customers are suffering on 2.4GHz?