TPG Community

Get online support

5ghz wifi loses connection archer vr1600v

chicaneau
Level 4

What is the proper process today to resolve this issue?

My router hardware version:  Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

My router firmware version:   1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.35294n

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi @DavidGC ,

You're on Build 180828, you want to log a support request and request them to remotely upgrade your firmware to Build 200826 (Full detail: Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 20082).

Shane

Hi @DavidGC,

We'd love to help request a firmware upgrade for the modem/router. Send us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) 

Also the following information below.

Modem Details:
Modem:
Serial number: 
Software version: 

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

My household has been having this problem for months, and it seems to be getting progressively worse.

5ghz will lose connectivity with high load devices (e.g., VR headset).

Once connectivity is lost, it is impossible for those devices to reconnect on the 5ghz network.

2ghz connectivity remains possible, but the slow speed is not suitable for the device.

Restarting the disconnected device will not restore 5ghz connectivity, and the router itself needs to be power cycled.

What is the proper process today to resolve this issue?

My router hardware version:  Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

My router firmware version:   1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.35294n

Thanks for any help you can give.

DavidGC
Level 3

Thanks. Message with info has been sent.

In my case, the issue is definitely related to local wifi traffic, as the device that most frequently loses the 5ghz connection from the router is a VR headset streaming a game from a PC on the local network. Lots of traffic obviously, and it's like the router eventually just has enough and tells the headset that it doesn't want to talk anymore. Smiley Happy  Some wifi speakers also have issues after awhile (also just using the local network), but it seems to be less frequent with them.

Hoping the firmware update fixes the issue!

@Shane wrote:

Hi @DavidGC,

We'd love to help request a firmware upgrade for the modem/router. Send us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) 

Modem Details:
Modem:
Serial number: 
Software version: 

Shane

Hi @DavidGC,

Thanks for sending us your details. The firmware upgrade has been requested we'll provide an updates when it becomes available.

Regards,

Thanks. Message with info has been sent.

In my case, the issue is definitely related to local wifi traffic, as the device that most frequently loses the 5ghz connection from the router is a VR headset streaming a game from a PC on the local network. Lots of traffic obviously, and it's like the router eventually just has enough and tells the headset that it doesn't want to talk anymore. Smiley Happy  Some wifi speakers also have issues after awhile (also just using the local network), but it seems to be less frequent with them.

Hoping the firmware update fixes the issue!

@Shane wrote:

Hi @DavidGC,

Modem Details:
Modem:
Serial number: 
Software version: 

DavidGC
Level 3

Firmware update was applied recently, and the revised hardware and firmware is now

Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n

Unfortunately, the problem has not been solved.

The 5ghz device was just kicked off of the wifi within the past 15 minutes and cannot rejoin the network.

(Edit at 10:25pm: I have now had to restart the router several times tonight because of this issue with more than one wifi device being affected.)

I note the firmware they installed does not match the one @chicaneau listed in an earlier post:

@chicaneau's Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 20082

My (current) Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n

What is the next step here?

This is happening fairly frequently now, and it makes it impossible to game over wifi or watch movies uninterrupted.

Is there a different firmware version that should be used instead, or do you have any other models of wifi routers available that have better reliability?

@Shane wrote:

Hi @DavidGC,

Thanks for sending us your details. The firmware upgrade has been requested we'll provide an updates when it becomes available.

Regards,

Shane

Hi @DavidGC,

We raised this to our Engineering Team for further handling and assessment, we'll provide you a feedback when update becomes available.

Regards,

Firmware update was applied recently, and the revised hardware and firmware is now

Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n

Unfortunately, the problem has not been solved.

The 5ghz device was just kicked off of the wifi within the past 15 minutes and cannot rejoin the network.

(Edit at 10:25pm: I have now had to restart the router several times tonight because of this issue with more than one wifi device being affected.)

I note the firmware they installed does not match the one @chicaneau listed in an earlier post:

@chicaneau's Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 20082

My (current) Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n

What is the next step here?

This is happening fairly frequently now, and it makes it impossible to game over wifi or watch movies uninterrupted.

Is there a different firmware version that should be used instead, or do you have any other models of wifi routers available that have better reliability?

@Shane wrote:

Hi @DavidGC,

Regards,

surrid
Level 3
Changing the channel settings didn't help with us either. Interestingly, uploading large files to Google drive didn't crash the 5Ghz wifi. But doing a speedtest instantly did. There is some inconsistency to the issue...
Shane

Thanks for the additional details, @surrid. We raised this to our Engineering Team for additional reference.

SGT
Level 3
Level 3
We are yet another household who constantly loses 5ghz connectivity.

Switched quite recently from Telstra and never once had an issue with them.

Modern is firmware version:
0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n

This is super, super frustrating as 1) we only recently changed over and it kind of feels like we've been duped.. 2) buffering when watching Netflix is super annoying and not the service we'd expect.

Have others (apart from the one or two who gave said so) actually received a fix for this dropout issue?

Scott
chicaneau
Level 4

@SGT, you're on an old/buggy firmware. Lodge a support request and they will push a newer firmware out. Frustratingly, they only do this upon request. Given how replicatable this issue is, there must be a lot of customers out there suffering in silence using 2.4GHz only.

Surely it's in their corporate best interests to be proactive with updating their supplied devices to patch known issues? 

(The firmware you want is: Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200826 Rel.77218n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000)