TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v 5GHz not working even after firmware update

AnotherUser404
Level 2

We have a TP-Link VR1600v router, and the 5GHz WiFi band almost never works. For most of the time when devices try to connect to the router using 5GHz band the router won't assign an IP address to any of the devices, even though the signal is good, and the 2.4GHz can be connected (but it's not that good either, I'll come back to that), but some times the 5GHz will come back up for no apparent reason at all, live for 1-3 days and die again. I upgraded the firmware on the router and the 5GHz came back up for barely 2 days before completely dead again. The 2GHz isn't much better either, I experience frequent and inconsistent lag spikes raising my latency to router from 3ms to at least 300ms, and my connection to my router has a package lost rate of more than 2%, when the router is literally right in front of me with no obstruction.

From other articles and threads I found that changing the broadcasting channel might work, but the instructions given for changing channels are not clear and the posts mostly wrote about how channels work, not how to solve a problem. So if that is your suggested solution to this then please include some screenshots in router settings regarding how to change the channels.

Any other methods are very much welcome, doesn't hurt to give a try.

I appreciate any assistance in advance

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Channel choices for 2.4G band are 1 or 6 or 11.

If you have a Windows laptop with wifi, enable wifi and move it around your house to check signal strength.

In a command window, do:   netsh wlan show all

At the end of the display, you can see other networks in the neighbourhood and your own router.  And check 2.4G interference from cordless phones and microwave.

Do the command a few times to get an average view of networks rather than an instantaneous view.

On your wifi device, in Settings, wifi connections, you can tap the connection and see signal strength and link speed.

Following is from VR1600 manual.

¾¾ To change the mode or channel:
Go to Advanced > Wireless >Wireless Settings page and select the wireless network 2.4GHz or 5GHz.
Mode: Select the desired mode.
• 802.11n only: Select only if all of your wireless clients are 802.11n devices.
• 802.11gn mixed: Select if you are using both 802.11g and 802.11n wireless clients.
• 802.11bgn mixed: Select if you are using a mix of 802.11b, 11g, and 11n wireless clients.
Note: When 802.11n only mode is selected, only 802.11n wireless stations can connect to the modem router. It is strongly recommended that you select 802.11bgn mixed, and all of 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n wireless stations can connect to the modem router.
• 802.11ac/n mixed (5GHz): Select if you are using both 802.11ac and 802.11n wireless clients.

• 802.11a/n/ac mixed (5GHz): Select if you are using a mix of 802.11a, 802.11n and 802.11ac wireless clients. It is strongly recommended that you select 11a/n/ac mixed.
Channel: Select the channel you want to use from the drop-down list. This field determines which operating frequency will be used. It is not necessary to change the wireless channel unless you notice interference problems with another nearby access point.
Channel Width: Select the channel width from the drop-down list. The default setting is Auto, which can adjust the channel width for your clients automatically.

P.S. Router may still be faulty.

Ken-C

Hi there             

Welcome to the community,

Could you please send me a PM (private message) with your CID (customer identication number) or your mobile phone number so can look at this service for you Smiley Happy

kind regards

Ken-C

Hi there             

Welcome to the community,

Could you please send me a PM (private message) with your CID (customer identication number) or your mobile phone number so can look at this service for you Smiley Happy

kind regards

Mick200
Level 2

Hi Ken,

I came across this post from another user having issues with their 5GHz band. 

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-VR1600v-5GHz-not-working-even-after-firmwa...

I am experiencing two issues.

1. 5GHz stops working
  2. Random internet drops outs and slow speeds

Issue 1

My situation is slightly different in that after rebooting the Archer VR1600v router, both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz are showing. However after a few minutes, hours or days (it varies), the band is still being broadcasted. When I try to connect to the 5.0 GHz,

(a) using my iPhone - it will ask for a password which after inputting, it doesn't allow you to connect saying password is wrong (even though it is right)

(b) using my iMac - it will try to connect and give me an error unable to connect. 

I am technically minded and have done the following:

• rebooted my modem - after rebooting, the 5GHz works again for a undefined period before not working again.
  • rebooted my devices
  • rebooted NBN device
  • unplugged cordless phone when testing
  • changed network cables
  • reset the modem and reconfigured
  • tested using LAN and WiFi connected devices.
  • my house had the LAN rewired when I had issues with TPG ADSL.

Issue 2

In addition to this 5 GHz issue, I often get drop outs and slow speed dips throughout the day that cuts out my internet.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Shane

Hi @Mick200,

Thanks for the additional details, please send me your account details (Username/Customer ID) together with the best contact number and preferred time. We'll have one of our technicians to contact you for real-times test and further investigation.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community.

Regards, 

Hi Ken,

I came across this post from another user having issues with their 5GHz band. 

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-VR1600v-5GHz-not-working-even-after-firmwa...

I am experiencing two issues.

1. 5GHz stops working
  2. Random internet drops outs and slow speeds

Issue 1

My situation is slightly different in that after rebooting the Archer VR1600v router, both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz are showing. However after a few minutes, hours or days (it varies), the band is still being broadcasted. When I try to connect to the 5.0 GHz,

(a) using my iPhone - it will ask for a password which after inputting, it doesn't allow you to connect saying password is wrong (even though it is right)

(b) using my iMac - it will try to connect and give me an error unable to connect. 

I am technically minded and have done the following:

• rebooted my modem - after rebooting, the 5GHz works again for a undefined period before not working again.
  • rebooted my devices
  • rebooted NBN device
  • unplugged cordless phone when testing
  • changed network cables
  • reset the modem and reconfigured
  • tested using LAN and WiFi connected devices.
  • my house had the LAN rewired when I had issues with TPG ADSL.

Issue 2

In addition to this 5 GHz issue, I often get drop outs and slow speed dips throughout the day that cuts out my internet.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael