TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v V2 5GHz wifi randomly stops working

SOLVED Go to solution
trevorw
Level 2

Hi,

Our Archer VR1600v V2 modem's 5GHz WIFI randomly stops working. The only way to solve the problem is to switch the modem off, wait a minute, then turn it back on. Stopping and starting the 5GHz wifi by either external button or via the admin concole does not fix the issue. 

This modem is actually a replacement for a previous version of the Archer VR1600 which developed the same symtoms. Neither a factory reset nor modifications to the wifi settings have fixed the issue either. 

The 2.4 Ghz wifi works fine.

The modem had been working fine for quite a while however the issue is progressively getting worse. It is requiring a power reset every one to three days with no set pattern to day or time.

Hardware version: Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Firmware version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n

Is a newer firmware version available that fixes this issue?

Kind Regards,

Trevor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
trevorw
Level 2

TPG technicians advised that the problem was with the VR1600 and they could not fix it. The router is over two years old and out of warranty therefore, the only option was to replace it at my expense. 

I have since purchased a Netgear modem/router and everything is working well so far. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Rica_R

Hi @trevorw,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Looking at the Firmware version of your modem, you have the latest version of the modem. We'd also like to have a look at your connectivity. Send us a PM with your details like customer ID or username for us to check.

How do I private message (PM) in the community.

bawz9z
Level 2

Hi,

I've been having exactly the same problem with my Archer modem and NBN, starting in the last few weeks.  The 5Ghz network keeps dropping out.  I get kicked out of my pc connection on this frequency (as do a bunch of google home devices), and even though the SSID still appears as available, no devices are able to reconnect until a hard reboot is done on the router.

As above, it's not the NBN connection, as the internet is still available via the  2.4Ghz frequency, as do devices connected directly to the Archer 1600v V2 router via a network cable.

Firmware Version:    0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n

Hardware Version:    Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Regards

Bruce

Ahra_G

Hi @bawz9z

The primary difference between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies is range. 

2.4GHz frequency is able to reach farther than the 5GHz frequency. This is a result of the basic characteristics that waves attenuate much faster at higher frequencies. So if you are more concerned with the coverage, you should select 2.4GHz rather than 5GHz.

PM us with your TPG account details so we can also have a look at your service. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

bawz9z
Level 2

Hi Ahra_G,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Please note that this is not about distance, this is about complete dropout of the 5Ghz network even when close enough to touch the router with the device trying to access the 5Ghz network.

Having dug deeper into this forum, it seems like there is an unacknowledged defect with either the Archer VR1600v router or firmware that causes the 5Ghz network to fail when it has been under load for a period.  This includes with replacement devices it seems, again from reading the forums.

I've taken the approach of disabling the Wifi transmission from the Archer VR1600v, and attaching an old trusted netgear router as an Wifi access point, cabled to and sitting next to the Archer VR1600v.  If this doesn't work after a trial period, then I will PM you so see what other options there are, but short of TPG providing a different model of router, I've not seen many successful outcomes.

Regards

Bruce

trevorw
Level 2

Hi bawz9z,

You have described exactly what I'm experiencing and my research has reached the same conclusion you.

The fault has been escalated within TPG and I am waiting on further instructions which should happen in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Cheers,

Trevor

BasilDV

Hi @trevorw

This has been raised and someone will be in touch for further updates.

BasilDV

normK88
Level 2

Having the same trouble here, just randomly disconnects wireless and LAN connections.

On a game, the other players could not hear the conversation but their conversation came through clearly.

BasilDV

Hi @normK88

Is it time specific? What troubleshooting have you tried so far?

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you further.

BasilDV

trevorw
Level 2

TPG technicians advised that the problem was with the VR1600 and they could not fix it. The router is over two years old and out of warranty therefore, the only option was to replace it at my expense. 

I have since purchased a Netgear modem/router and everything is working well so far.