TPG Community

Get online support

Can I use my Nighthawk AX2400 with TPG

david64
Level 15

@Naviti . This iiNet article contains links to a selection of routers that should be ok for TPG. The links describe how to set VLAN ID for the different models. The list is not exhaustive.

https://help.iinet.net.au/setting-common-non-iinet-supplied-modems-nbn-hfc

You can search in Community for   iiNet    because I have referred users who have bought other models not on that list but have similar menu systems.

Naviti
Level 2

Thank you David.

Tried and no luck. Was on call with Netgear for approx 1.5rs doing troubleshooting.

Still have amber light on for internet on unit. They have asked to allow 24hrs and they will call back. If still not connected, advised to return router to place of purchase.

Justaguy
Level 2

I have just gone through the same thing - I know this post is somewhat old but to save all the others out there - tried multiple things and no luck. Netgear also advise onthing they can do. Looks like this model of Netgear router AX2400 AKA RAX30 is not compatible with TPG FTTC. 

david64
Level 15

Hi @Justaguy . Your only consideration is whether you are on Bundled NBN/VOIP plan (VLAN ID=2), or, BYO router data only plan (VLAN ID not used).

Is the Netgear replacing a TPG router? Is it still working? Check the settings on it.

Does the FTTC box have all 4 lights on?   

Justaguy
Level 2

Yes on VOIP and changed the VLAN ID (several times). Netgear also could not help.

I resorted to getting another TPLINK router from TPG and it works fine (although can also confirm that none of the settings that I am told to use to logon (including username and password / VLAN settings and DNS settings) are the same as what the instructions have been. Internet works - just the Netgear router does not. Have also found multiple posts suggesing others having a similar problem with some Netgear routers.

david64
Level 15

@Justaguy . What do you mean when you say "none of the settings are the same"?

What settings were you told to use?

What settings are in use in the new TPG router? How are they different from what is on the Netgear?

Is there anything in the Netgear system log?

Justaguy
Level 2

userid and password to start - although it appears that with the TPG supplied routers you do not need to configure at all. When I did log in to reset some of the wifi settings I noticed them. It works fine so Im happy! Further reviews of other posts to do with the recent and frequent modem resets on the older TP Link routers suggests this is normal.

Justaguy
Level 2

NOTE: Clarification on last post - the settings that I was told to configure the Netgear router by TPG support are different from what they have preinstalled in the working TPLINK router.

david64
Level 15

@Justaguy . For info, TPG router contains something with "acs" in the username which is autoconfig server which updates the username and adds a generic password, after which, it connects as your username.

You have to set the Netgear with your own username (with or without @tpg.com.au) and password.

If the TPG router has VLAN enabled, you have to set the Netgear with the VLAN tag group.

kahi
Level 2

Thought I would share as I also came here for the answer and then figured it out myself. 

After setting up PPPoE connection go to Advanced Setup/VLAN/Bridge Settings:

1. Enable VLAN/Bridge Group

2. Choose By VLAN tag group

3. choose automatically created VLAN group(VLAN ID 10) and click edit 

4. Change VLAN ID from 10 to 2

5. Click Apply (in my case it was doing a kind of 'jump' to the main VLAN page and wasnt "really" applying it properly)

6. Next make sure you tick "Enable VLAN/Bridge Settings" (as it was somehow unticked again after previous step)

7.again make sure "By VLAN Group" is selected

8. and there is only one VLAN Group with VLAN ID 2 and all the ports belong to it. 

9. Click Apply (this time it should reboot the wifi router, without reboot VLAN settings are not applied even tho it shows otherwise)

Hope this helps

Smiley Wink