Google Nest Wifi

SOLVED Go to solution
benjojo1
Level 2
Hi
I have NBN Cable Broadband Unlimited Ultrafast 200mbps as of this past weekend.
I have the NBN type which comes to us via the Foxtel cabling i believe it's called 'HFC'?
Therefore i have one of those black Arris NBN boxes pre-modem.
Now, i have an ancient TPG supplied modem I've had for probably since TPG went into business yet they refuse to upgrade an extremely loyal customer. Anyhow that's another story.

I should get 200mbps night speeds for my kind patronage in upgrading...alas best i get with this modem is like 40mbps download speeds.

So now my question. If i were to buy a Google Nest Wifi 2021 and install it post Arris directly should we be by all rights enjoying speeds closer to 200mbps?

Secondly, I've seen a couple threads on here where people had to connect the Nest Router to the old TPG Router (effectively leaving it in the middle). Wouldn't that totally destroy the speed and purpose of the whole exercise?

Thanks
Ben.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @benjojo1 ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, I can request a new modem/router for in exchange of additional 6 months contract + $10.00 shipping fee however we only provide a standard modem/router. 

Actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable. 

Connecting a 3rd party router on our supplied modem will actually improve the Wireless conection compare to the built-in Wi-Fi specially using new generation of mesh devices.

Here are some threads that related on MESH device and how to connect it using our supplied modem.

Please see the link below.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

@benjojo1 wrote:
Hi
I have the NBN type which comes to us via the Foxtel cabling i believe it's called 'HFC'?
Now, i have an ancient TPG supplied modem I've had for probably since TPG went into business yet they refuse to upgrade an extremely loyal customer. Anyhow that's another story.

I should get 200mbps night speeds for my kind patronage in upgrading...alas best i get with this modem is like 40mbps download speeds.

So now my question. If i were to buy a Google Nest Wifi 2021 and install it post Arris directly should we be by all rights enjoying speeds closer to 200mbps?

Secondly, I've seen a couple threads on here where people had to connect the Nest Router to the old TPG Router (effectively leaving it in the middle). Wouldn't that totally destroy the speed and purpose of the whole exercise?

Thanks
Ben.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi @benjojo1 ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, I can request a new modem/router for in exchange of additional 6 months contract + $10.00 shipping fee however we only provide a standard modem/router. 

Actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable. 

Connecting a 3rd party router on our supplied modem will actually improve the Wireless conection compare to the built-in Wi-Fi specially using new generation of mesh devices.

Here are some threads that related on MESH device and how to connect it using our supplied modem.

Please see the link below.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

@benjojo1 wrote:
Hi

Thanks
Ben.

david64
Level 15

Hi @benjojo1 . Google devices don't support VLAN tagging which is needed for TPG NBN connections except for FTTP. So a VLAN-capable router was needed for connection (or a smart switch with VLAN capability). (FTTB/N need RJ11 connector so Google is no good there.)

The "BYO" router plans (data only) don't use VLAN tagging. I believe the same is true for the super and ultra plans. I'd expect the Google unit to be ok just connected to the Arris.

What is the model of the ancient TPG device? You could check its configuration regarding VLAN ID. If you were on standard HFC, the TPG device would have needed that setting.

benjojo1
Level 2
Thanks Shane, i will consider this. What is the new modem/router being offered?
benjojo1
Level 2
Hi David
My ancient artifact appears to be an Archer/TPlink vr1600v with brown internal burn marks from overheating which i reported years ago and they never offered to replace. You get a feel how hard done by this monthly fee donor has been 😁.
david64
Level 15

@benjojo1 . The offered router is VR1600.

If the config of your VR1600 has the VLAN ID disabled (means you are on faster plan), the Google connected to Arris should be ok.

benjojo1
Level 2
Actually, correction. I just looked under the router and its the TP Link AC1600 infact, not the VR. It'd be 10yrs old.
benjojo1
Level 2
Hi Shane how do i take up this offer for modem upgrade now? This modem is cactus, I'm paying for 200mbps and at best getting 40mbps. Let me know

Thanks
Ben
Shane

Hi @benjojo1,

Shoot me a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) also include your best contact number and confirmation that you agree to sign up with addtional 6 months and a  $10.00 shipping fee for the brand new modem/router.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Hi Shane how do i take up this offer for modem upgrade now? This modem is cactus, I'm paying for 200mbps and at best getting 40mbps. Let me know

Thanks
Ben