TPG Community

Get online support

How to back up settings in the Archer VR1600v

junlei84
Level 3

hi , I too am looking for the backup config feature on this modem, this is very basic function of a modem !

christianha
Level 2

I vote +1 on this one.

TPG, you might want to read up on the ACSC Essential 8. To make it easy if give you a hint, look at Backup.

https://www.cyber.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/PROTECT%20-%20Essential%20Eight%20Maturity%20Mo...

rkc62
Level 2

Just for the mods (I know this is old).

The idea that we can just put this data in again is nonsense. There is no cut and paste capability in the Archer config page, and loading up my port forwards, reserved DHCPs. whitelists etc by typing in MAC addresses can literally take an hour.

I have to do this every time the modem decides it is having a bad day and forgets everything - wireless networks, DHCP ranges, and even making my network available to anyone who knows the admin/admin combo...

Please ensure the capability is put in a future firmware upgrade.

Shane

Hi @rkc62

Welcome to the community!

Your feedback is important to us and it is something we value as we strive to improve our service. Let us know if there's we can be of assistance.

Regards, 

icanfly
Level 3

Hello TPG,

In light of the many logged incidents of our modems being factory reset the other night outside our control, coupled with the fact that we are unable to backup and restore settings causing all of us to have to re configure our modems from scratch:

Please enable the backup and restore settings function in our firmware! The ability is there in the router firmware but it seems in our customised firmware you have disabled the option

This option should have always been enabled regardless of the incident that occurred the other night as it is just a basic function of any router to be able to do this.

Please join with me others to upvote this thread to show your support for TPG to enable this function. TPG can you please provide us with a legitmiate reason why this functiuonality is disabled? And if the reason is to protect users from accidents, shouldnt a factory restore still override everything anyway if they accidently restore an invalid configuration they can always get back to the default config anyway?

Thanks

lasterato
Level 3
I too would like this functionality not be added as standard.
Rage
Level 2

This post has been going since 2018. With all the feedback that has been given so far, I would have hoped TPG would have rolled out the firmware update to enable us to backup the settings. If this router is mandatory for TPG NBN to work, then I believe it would be used across Australia. That's unhappy users across Australia. Does TPG care about that? 

Honestly, I would like to switch over to another router. I upgraded to their unlimted plan ($59.99 ) one and the speeds I get are terrible. Max I have got is 15 MBPS. Thats the worst kind of NBN. I am glad I just have 3 more months of contract left. Can't wait to get out of this. 

Shane

Hi @Rage,

Welcome to the community!

We appreciate your feedback regarding to the back up settings feature of our supplied modem/router unfortunately its not yet available. On the other hand, we'd like to take this opportunity to understand what causes slow connection of speed on the service and get to the bottom of this. Please send me your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

For reference:

How do I private message (PM) in the community.

Regards, 

This post has been going since 2018. With all the feedback that has been given so far, I would have hoped TPG would have rolled out the firmware update to enable us to backup the settings. If this router is mandatory for TPG NBN to work, then I believe it would be used across Australia. That's unhappy users across Australia. Does TPG care about that? 

Honestly, I would like to switch over to another router. I upgraded to their unlimted plan ($59.99 ) one and the speeds I get are terrible. Max I have got is 15 MBPS. Thats the worst kind of NBN. I am glad I just have 3 more months of contract left. Can't wait to get out of this. 

Rage
Level 2

Thanks Shane. I just submitted the request to upgrade to the 80 MBPS plan. Will see how that goes. If that still doesnt work, then I will reach out to you.

Thanks

Shane

Thanks for the additional details, @Rage. Do not hesitate to reach us on how it will go, cheers!