TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up a bridge on archer vr1600v.

SOLVED Go to solution
winterbrew
Level 2

Ok, thanks.

Installed pfSense to another PC with dual Intel Pro 1000 NIC's to rule out any hardware problems, and set MTU to 1492. Interestingly, if you set MTU to 1480 as per the Archer, it still shows 1492 in the PPPoE log.

Same result as before;

Apr 18 07:39:57 ppp [wan_link0] Link: reconnection attempt 21
Apr 18 07:39:57 ppp [wan_link0] PPPoE: Connecting to ''
Apr 18 07:39:57 ppp PPPoE: rec'd ACNAME "per-apt-stg-bras22"
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] PPPoE: connection successful
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] Link: UP event
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: Up event
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: state change Starting --> Req-Sent
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: SendConfigReq #22
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] MRU 1492
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] MAGICNUM 0x2917ab04
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] PPPoE: connection closed
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] Link: DOWN event
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: Down event
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Starting
Apr 18 07:39:58 ppp [wan_link0] Link: reconnection attempt 22 in 4 seconds

Doesn't seem its getting to the authentication stage, but it still says the PPPoE link is up intially.

I'm going to try installing the Untangle firewall on the PC now

Erika

Hi @winterbrew

Thanks for updating us. 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Cheers, 

winterbrew
Level 2

Thanks Erika.

Got Untangle up and running first time with no issues. Added PPPoE connection details, added VLAN with ID of 2 to the PPPoE WAN connection interface, set WAN LAN adapter MTU to 1492, and all good to go !

There must be some quirk with pfSense that requires further customisation or combination of settings, that I don't have the time/patience for !

Will stick with Untangle - thanks for the assistance Smiley Happy

Riezl

You're very much welcome, @winterbrew.

Should there be any issues, feel free to drop us a message. Cheers!

Pinky300
Level 3

@BasilDV wrote:

Good day @winterbrew and @Bruzza81.

Here are some steps on how to bridge your TP-Link VR1600 modem/router.

First, you need to access the Modem interface by opening any internet browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.), then type in the address bar the default IP address of the modem - 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Login.png

It will ask for a username and password to login. Use "admin" on both, then click "ok" or "login".

Please select the "Advance Tab"

ClickAdvance.png

On the "Advance Tab"

1.) Select on "Network"

2.) Click on "DSL"

3.) Then click on "+Add" to create a new connection

4.) Make sure to select on "VDSL"

5.) Look for "Bridge" on the "Internet Connection Type"

6.) "Enable" the VLAN ID

7.) VLAN ID should be "2"

8.) Lastly, "Save" the changes

AdvanceBridge.png

Keep us posted if it's still not working.

Kind regards,

Hi,

Your instructions are great - however, as mentioned below, the VLan ID (2) is already in use and will not allow you to use this number again.

Do you have any further information that would enable bridged mode to be set up for this modem?

Regards,

Steve

Erika

Hi @Pinky300,

May we suggest to remove the PPPOE on VLAN 2 first before following the steps you have provided. Please click on the trash can symbol to delete.

Bridge.jpg

Regards,

dalanmiller
Level 2

Hi @Erika, unfortunately if  I remove the PPPoE nothing works at all. However, I'm not sure the router behind the 1600v is setup properly to work with this set up.

If I have a router behind the Tp Link 1600v, what kind of settings does it need to have in order to get an IP and internet connectivity if the 1600v is in bridge mode?

Shane

@dalanmiller wrote:

Hi @Erika, unfortunately if  I remove the PPPoE nothing works at all. However, I'm not sure the router behind the 1600v is setup properly to work with this set up.

If I have a router behind the Tp Link 1600v, what kind of settings does it need to have in order to get an IP and internet connectivity if the 1600v is in bridge mode?

Hi @dalanmiller,

I'd like to know what brand and model number of router you are trying to use.

If you wish to use a 3rd party router you can simply turn-off/disable TP Link's Wi-Fi and connect your 3rd party router.

Note: Make sure that your router is on DHCP mode option to receive IP address to work.

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!

JohnMitch
Level 3

I'd like to use the Archer VR1600v as the primary modem/router for our FTTN connection as we have a home phone line as well. I need to bridge the connection  (wireless) to an ASUS DSL AC68U as a secondary router. The ASUS has WDS. The reason is that the Archer's WiFi is unrelaible and the ASUS is really strong as I have a Solax Hybrid Inverter with wifi that needs to be connected to the internet 24/7. The ASUS was really relaibe with ADSL for this connection but the Archer keeps dropping the Solax inverter off the network. I've tried Powerline adapters (LAN) but they won't pair on our power line. Installing a LAN connection means getting up into the roof space and I'm little to old to be doing that these days. I've followed the steps outlined here with the Archer but the id has already been allocated the the NBN connection. Thanks in advance.

BasilDV

Hi @JohnMitch,

Welcome to TPG Community!

The TP-Link VR1600 doesn't have the WDS function, but you can add your ASUS device as an access point instead.

Here's a previous discussion which one of our moderators provided an instruction on how to use a device as an access point. Look for JovemarL's post here.

Regards,

BasilDV