TPG Community

Get online support

Issues with Google Nest Hub V2 and TPLINK modem AX5400 VX420-G2h

SOLVED Go to solution
NigelF
Level 2

Hi, I tried for hrs to get this to work, it worked for over 12 months, then suddenly one day four circles appear on the Google Nest Hub V2 and stay forever. I reset the Nest Hub about 10 times, reloaded via the app, it updates the app and the Next Hub, goes through everything, reboots and same thing happens, 4 circles rotate Yellow, red, green and blue. I took a working from another location Nest Hub, reinstalled, same issue. I then used both Nest Hubs in 2 other locations with TPG Internet (NBN) Not 5g home wirless and the devices work. I tried again and same issue at the location with TPG Home Intenet 5G. I see there is no update for the frimaware and TPG 24x7 support keeps playing recordings for 45 minutes so I hung up, despite what the web site says I gather 24x7 support is look at their web site and not talk to someone? I find it strange theres no update for the firmware on TPG or TP Links sites, I really need to get this to work for my 90 Yr old father whp relies on eth Google Nest Hub. Any help appreciated..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NigelF
Level 2

OK, sorry for not replying sooner, I was away for work. On the 4th call with TPG they agreed to phone me, my Dad is 90 and not as IT savvy as he used to be, although they did get him to log in to 192.168.1.1 and change the SSID to XXXXX_5G which did nothing. They called me and i said Im switching ISP unless they ship a new Router as there is NO firmware update for the AX5400 and its out of support despite only being supplied about 12 months ago.

The new modem arrived 2 days later, plugged it in and problem solved. It was a newer smaller model, but it worked Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @NigelF . Want to get a better idea.

Issue relates to Google Nest hub which was working and has stopped.

Are you on 5G wireless broadband connection using Sagemcom modem?

The Nest was working connected to Sagemcom wifi but has stopped?

The Nest works at other locations which use NBN connection with TPG as provider?

Where does the VX420 come into it?

alanguide
Level 7

@NigelF wrote:

TPG 24x7 support keeps playing recordings for 45 minutes so I hung up, despite what the web site says I gather 24x7 support is look at their web site and not talk to someone?

Mods: This seems a frequent complaint. I remember telephone support being fine when I used it years ago. I hope steps are being taken to resolve.

BTW, my Vx420 is solid. Best router I've used.

NigelF
Level 2

Hi, yes the same Google Nest Hub has been working at the apartment on TPG ADSL, about 12 months ago was switched by TPG to 5G and worked fine till about 2 weeks ago when it started having the 4 circles continuously rotating, as mentioned resetting, reloading, swapping with other hubs and using Google support was no use, the same Next Hub works in 2 other locations My home and a friends home but we have NBN via TPG not 5G wireless which is what my Dad has.

The VX420-G2h AKA AX5400 is the wireless 5G Modem Router supplied by TPG when they "Upgraded" him from ADSL to 5G Wireless. 

david64
Level 15

@NigelF . The VX420-G2h is a 4G unit, not 5G (4G indicator light).

Is the internet still working? Other wifi devices still work?

Does the Nest display show both wifi networks from VX420?

If only one SSID, disable Band Steering and give a separate name to 5GHz band; add   -5G

NigelF
Level 2

Sorry my Bad, I assumed 5G, but I assume you are right and it's 4G.

Everything still works, Internet, straming on his smart TV.

The Nest Hub connects to the wifi and does it's update, et up etc via your Google Home phone App.

I tried both with a single SSD, with and without Band Steering, i then doid same after adding _5g and tried resetting the Nest Hub and reinstalling again, everytime it completes the install and when you reboot, the 4 colored circles appear and I reset and start again, same issue I then do same thing in another 2 locations and t works fine, a working next Hub from my home when installed at Dad's does the same thinga nd won't work, take it home and it works fine, I can only conclude then it is solely to do with some change to TPG Home wireless internet that stops it from working like it had for almost a year. This is a Nest Hub V2 like a clock, not a Nest WIFI repeater thing.

david64
Level 15

@NigelF . Does the Nest show up in the router with an ip address?

Using a computer, can you ping the Nest ip address?

The Nest should display this address in its wifi settings. 

In the Nest wifi settings, what security is it using and what wifi speed to the router?

NigelF
Level 2

Hi, My Dad got hold of a support person, they patiently guided him through the TP Link on line interface and he says told him to add _5G to a SSID I guess. He turned the Nest off and on and the 4 circles came back, I will try to get there and reset it and try reloading it again for the 50th time. If no joy we will change to another carrrier.Wasted way to much time on something which shouldnt be so hard.

david64
Level 15

@NigelF . On your router where all the Nests work, do the wifi names and passwords have any special characters different from those in your father's router?

Don't understand why Google support don't know what the circles mean. It has been encountered before on various forums.

NigelF
Level 2

OK, sorry for not replying sooner, I was away for work. On the 4th call with TPG they agreed to phone me, my Dad is 90 and not as IT savvy as he used to be, although they did get him to log in to 192.168.1.1 and change the SSID to XXXXX_5G which did nothing. They called me and i said Im switching ISP unless they ship a new Router as there is NO firmware update for the AX5400 and its out of support despite only being supplied about 12 months ago.

The new modem arrived 2 days later, plugged it in and problem solved. It was a newer smaller model, but it worked Smiley Happy