TPG Community

Get online support

Mobile phone connects to TPG wifi, but apps won't work.

MattiSV
Level 3

Hi there,

Recently I've had a problem with my home wireless broadband.

Whenever I connect my phone to wifi, the third party apps I try to use won't work.  If I use mobile data they will work.

I tried connecting to an Optus wifi at a family members house, and the phone apps worked.

Is there some setting on the modem I need to reset or alter, or is there something else that needs to be done to resolve this?

Any advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Matt.

16 REPLIES 16
Ahra_G

Hi @MattiSV

What about the default apps, do they work with your TPG wifi? 

-Ahra_G

david64
Level 15

Hi @MattiSV . Are you on 5G broadband (Sagemcom) or 4G broadband (TP-Link)?

When you connect your phone to the home wifi, are you able to browse to websites like Post Office, Youtube, Facebook?

What type of apps are failing? Banking apps, gaming apps where you connect to an external website. Or, apps controlling smart home devices?

MattiSV
Level 3

Hello david64 and Ahra_G,

Sorry my reply is late, but I'm a shift worker.

I resorted to using the reset button on the back of my modem, using a pin to push it in.  I had to re-enter the name and password I was using before, but it appears to have worked fo my PC (and for the Raspberry Pi connected to my TV).

The Fender Play site (online guitar lessons) are loading again.

As for the mobile phone, I don't know yet.  There appeared to be a number of updates needing to be downloaded for the apps.

I'll try again with the phone in the morning and see if it is working any better.

Nichole_C

Thanks for keeping us updated @MattiSV. Let us know how you go with your phone after you've downloaded the updates today.

MattiSV
Level 3

After doing a hard reset of the modem yesterday, things did get better.  I was able to update phone apps and check my phone software was up to date.

Today, the same problem.  Phone apps won't work when connected to WiFi, but okay using mobile data.

I'm also having problems getting some websites to load on my PC for example:- melbournestorm.com.au

Maybe my modem needs a firmware update?

From the dashboard of the modem, I got the following information:-

Firmware Version:-  NL1902.NC.VHA-R6B063.EN

Hardware Version:- VDSLGAW-DCM016-0009

Additional info:-

My phone uses 4G, as does my Windows PC.

Shane

Hi @MattiSV.

One other thing we can suggest is to switch of any VPNs you may have connected on your phone or PC and test the websites/apps again. This will help narrow down if a VPN connection may be causing any issues with your connection. 

If there's no change, we'd like to try some further troubleshooting together. So that we can do that, please send us a private message using by following in the steps listed here.

Regards,

After doing a hard reset of the modem yesterday, things did get better.  I was able to update phone apps and check my phone software was up to date.

Today, the same problem.  Phone apps won't work when connected to WiFi, but okay using mobile data.

I'm also having problems getting some websites to load on my PC for example:- melbournestorm.com.au

Maybe my modem needs a firmware update?

From the dashboard of the modem, I got the following information:-

Firmware Version:-  NL1902.NC.VHA-R6B063.EN

Hardware Version:- VDSLGAW-DCM016-0009

Additional info:-

My phone uses 4G, as does my Windows PC.

david64
Level 15

@MattiSV . Are you using a Netcomm/Vodafone NL1902 router? Is it a cabled NBN connection or is it using Vodafone 4G wireless broadband?

Is your Windows PC using ethernet to router or wifi?

Open a command window and do    nslookup melbournestorm.com.au

Display shows the DNS being used and ip addresses defined for the website.

Ping each ip address to see that it reaches the website.

What happens when you use that website in browser? No response at all, or timeout message?

MattiSV
Level 3

Hi Dave,

My modem is a Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub 2.0, model is NL 1902

I connect my Windows PC to it wirelessly, 4G connection.

I did the nslookup melbournestorm.com.au command that you told me.  The output was this:-

Server: UnKnown
Address: fe80::faca:59ff:feb3:7547

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: melbournestorm.com.au
Addresses: 151.101.194.133

IF the first line is referring to the DNS server, the answer of 'unknown' could be shedding some light onto what the problem is, but networking is NOT my field of expertise.

I also tried loading the website and I got a connection timed out message (Firefox Browser).

Same for Google Chrome, took too long to respond.

Just now I tried going to www.melbournestorm.com.au on my phone with mobile data... the site loads up instantly.

I can still access SOME websites, but there are some which I frequent which I can no longer bring up like Yahoo mail.

Thank you for taking the time to help me so far, and if you have any more ideas what I can do it would be greatly appreciated.

david64
Level 15

@MattiSV . Do you mean the PC connects to the 2.4GHz wifi SSID of the NL1902?

The DNS server is shown as an IPv6 address. TPG doesn't use IPv6. The 4 addresses shown are the same as what I see on my computer. Can you do  ping  on each one to check you can actually reach them.

On PC, do   ipconfig/all   to see what Windows is using on its interfaces.

Do the  nslookup  and  ping  commands on a website that you can still access.