TPG Community

Get online support

Mobile phone connects to TPG wifi, but apps won't work.

BasilDV

Hi @MattiSV 

We'd like to check on this further and see what we can do to resolve this.

Kindly send us your account details via private message.

BasilDV

MattiSV
Level 3

Hi Dave,

I was able to use the ping in the Vodaphone modem directory.  If I use IPv4 for the test it works, but if I use IPv6 is says 'unknown'.

Also, I think there is a problem with the speed of my internet connection.  I used fast.com to test my speed... 17mbps on my PC (connected by wifi, 4G), but only 3.3mbps on my phone.  Mobile data speed test gives 53mbps!

www.melbournestorm.com.au won't load on either of my browsers... it times out. 

Now I have the same problem with Yahoo Mail where I do all my emailing from.

david64
Level 15

@MattiSV . TPG network uses IPv4 so it might drop IPv6 frames so stick to IPv4.

Using the Vodafone modem, do Tracert to www.melbournestorm.com.au and a second one without the www.

For comparison, I get 5 ms ping response time.

What plan are you on? NBN25/NBN50/NBN100?

While you are logged on to Vodafone modem, find the ip addresses of your PC and mobile phone. Do the ping test to each device. Since both on wifi, have them close to Vodafone modem.

david64
Level 15

@MattiSV . In one of your browsers, try clearing the browser cache and cookies.

MattiSV
Level 3

@david64I tried the traceroute for www.melbournestorm.com.au and melbournestorm.com.au on my router... there are a whole bunch of timed events, and I am unable to make any sense of any of it.

The pinging is much easier to understand.  From what I can see, there is very little difference between the 2 tests.

I just tried opening the Melbourne Storm website in another tab in my browser, and TODAY it has worked.

Using the speed test at fast.com right now (4:22pm aedt) I am only getting 7.5mbps, but it seems to be enough to bring up the Melbourne Storm website.

My phone, however, only returned 3.0mbps, and it doesn't seem to matter how far away I am from the modem or what time of day it is.

For comparison, I also used fast.com at a family members house on their wifi (with my phone) and I got a result of 17mbps.

Maybe my phone connection is being throttled by TPG?  I don't know.

My TPG internet is wireless broadband and the maximum speed on offer is 25mbps.

One more question... would changing the channel on my modem help to impove the wifi speed?  By the looks of it on the modem dashboard, there are 14 other wifi modems it can detect.  At present it auto sets it's own channel.

david64
Level 15

@MattiSV . You can use your wifi PC to check out all the other wifi networks.

Does the PC do 2.4GHz band (greater distance) or 5GHz band (higher speed) or both?

In command window, do  netsh wlan show all  

This shows all detected networks, relative strength, channel. On 2.4GHz band, channels 1 or 6 or 11 are the most effective. Choose a channel with fewer strong signals. Maybe, leave 5GHz band on auto.

Then, check what wifi speed your are getting. This is not down/up speeds from speed test.

On phone, go to Settings, Wifi, tap your connection name. Should show the wifi speed being used, say over 65 Mbps. It also shows ip address allocated by router.

On PC, in Task Manager, Networking tab, you'll see the wifi network connection and wifi speed.

In command window, do  ipconfig  command to see the PC's ip address.

If PC has ethernet port, you should use this for speed tests. Wifi can be erratic.

Use the ping function in router to ping the phone and PC. Run it several times to get a good average indication. As a guess, should be under 5 ms.

The TPG 4G home wireless broadband is approx NBN20/2.

What is the NBN plan speed of your family member?

MattiSV
Level 3

@david64I finally got my verification problem resolved, and yesterday I was on the phone with a TPG assistant for about 1 hour.
We wound up doing a hard reset of the modem, and I've changed the names for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals so they no longer share the same name.

We used the 'speedtest by Ookla' www.speedtest.net to check the speed.  On my PC I am getting 19mbps and my phone was returning 17gbps, give or take.

Since then, my internet appears to be working normally again, even the apps on my phone are working again with the WiFi.

Thank you for taking the time to help me... let's hope that nothing goes wrong again anytime soon.