TPG Community

Get online support

Modem clicking and stopped working

Katieskeps
Level 2
Hi there. I had an electrician upgrade a wall socket & now the modems are clicking and half the buttons aren’t lighting up anymore. He said I’ll need to get new ones. It’s tplink and nbn boxes.
I’m draining my personal hotspot. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Katieskeps . The NBN box has a telephone cable going to the wall socket. Is this wall socket near the power point the electrician was working on? He may have dislodged the phone cable behind the wall socket.

This phone cable connects the NBN box to the distribution point under the footpath. A broken cable causes the NBN box to click and second light should blink. 

Otherwise, did you had a storm at that time? The NBN box and/or the distribution point seem susceptible to damage during a storm.

Katieskeps
Level 2
Thank you David. Yes the nbn cable is right next to a working PowerPoint. He stated the same thing happened to his when he change the cable over/wall socket over and had to get a new one. No recent storm activity. All started since he changed the telephone socket over.
david64
Level 15

@Katieskeps . Did the electrician change the power point as well or just the phone socket?

Was the old phone socket a RJ11 like in photo or old 3 pin type?

If the old style, I'd query whether the connection has been done properly.

All you can do now is turn NBN box off, remove cable from wall socket and push it in again. It should click when in properly. 

After that, TPG have to organise a new NBN box or for NBN to come out and  check the footpath unit.

BasilDV

Hi @Katieskeps

If you've already done the steps provided by @david64 and still not working.

Please send us a private message with your account details and we'll check it further.

BasilDV