TPG Community

Get online support

Sagemcom 5866T firmware not fit for purpose

KevinS
Level 2

Is there a fix or firmware update for the Sagemcom 5866T modem.  This device appears to have substantial issues out of the box.  Key issues are:

• Displays incorrect information in the user interface
  • Does not maintain a connection, and requires restart several times per day
  • Does not detect a loss of connection (i.e doesn't fail over to 4G)
  • Signal display and connectivity lights on the front of the modem are not consistient with the actual behaviour of the modem.

I have been suffering with the device for some time, my analysis has determined that the device has substantial issues and in my opinion is not ready for production use.  Please let me know if you are also having similar problems with this device. 

In advance of the L1 'helpdesk questions'

• Yes the modem is correctly situated.  When it is working correctly after a restart the device throttles down to the 100/20 speeds as advertised.
  • There is no Wifi issue, the behaviours are consistient whether connected by Ethernet or Wifi, 2.4GHz or 5Ghz.
  • Yes its been restarted (hundreds of times)
  • No there is not a useful log, the Sagecom log is very high level and the device doesnt usually detect that it has lost connectivity.
  • Yes the solution is repeatable, when connectivity is lost, or speed drops to kbps a restart generally re-establishes full speed.

Hopefully there is a firmware fix to solve the problems, otherwise I'll need to get TPG to supply a different model. The service is currently not fit for purpose.

17 REPLIES 17
BasilDV

Hi @KevinS

We'd like to look into your account for better understanding of the situation.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV

PEvans
Level 2

I'm in the 7 day trial period for 5G using the same modem.  I'm having the same symptoms as you.  Did you find a solution?

Ahra_G

Hi @PEvans

We'd be glad to assist and check your connection. Please send in your Account number or customer ID via PM so we can remotely test your service. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

PEvans
Level 2

Hey Ahra

I'm actually an iiNet customer (I believe iiNet and TPG are co-owned these days).  I've already spoken to iiNet support.  They said the problem was the 5G signal strength I was getting, but that doesn't make sense to me.  It doesn't explain why the Sagemcom admin page displays incorrect (or missing) information, or why it reports internet is connected when it isn't, or why the green LEDs are on after internet has dropped out.

So I'm having the same symptoms as the OP and it appears to be the modem itself, not the signal.  It dropped out 4 times on me yesterday requiring a hard reboot of the modem.  Speed is good (>100Mbs download) which is much better than I can get on my previous FTTN connection, but speed is irrelevant if it is unreliable.

Not much info on this modem that I could find (doesn't appear on the manufacturer's support website, for example) so I'm trying all channels for info before giving up on it.

vvulture
Level 2

Just got my Sagecomm 5866T today...   same issues as everyone else.

Been up for 3 hrs now, and already had 2 instances of dropouts requiring hard reset of modem.

I have 5 bar signal so that's not the problem.

I've also had issues with the admin page missing WiFi information and so on....

I have a feeling that the modem was a returned item and not brand new as the contents were "messy" so to speak like it had been repacked.

Running firmware SGJy100058

Day 1 of my 7 day grace period...   doubt very much i'll keep it past 7 days unless a new firmware gets released which fixes these issues...

Shane

Let us look into this, could you send us your details to better understand the situation. 

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Just got my Sagecomm 5866T today...   same issues as everyone else.

Been up for 3 hrs now, and already had 2 instances of dropouts requiring hard reset of modem.

I have 5 bar signal so that's not the problem.

I've also had issues with the admin page missing WiFi information and so on....

I have a feeling that the modem was a returned item and not brand new as the contents were "messy" so to speak like it had been repacked.

Running firmware SGJy100058

Day 1 of my 7 day grace period...   doubt very much i'll keep it past 7 days unless a new firmware gets released which fixes these issues...

glenglen
Level 2

There are indeed some issues with this modem. Hopefully, it’s all just software. Not sure if the Nokia one has the same issues ? or is more stable ?

I think I will be cancelling this service within the 30day trial, it’s okay for Netflix and some web browsing, but the latency spikes and dropouts are a bit of an issue;

unsure if it’s the modem/router as the Signal strength looks good; Tower is only 1 street over.

Some other things noticed/comments.

Bridge Mode
• Given the below issues, Bridge mode may solve many problems and treat the 5G device as an NCD/NTD/NTU etc. 

Wifi
• Unable to disable PMF (Protected Management Frames) or allow WPA1. Hence some older devices (printers, IoT) Can't connect correctly
• UI lets you select channels that won't work, Eg channel 165 won't work with 80Mhz width; unsure if the 'Auto' Mode is smart enough not to select a channel combo that isn't valid.
• Statistics are broken. Show devices connected to 2.4Ghz when they are on 5Ghz and don’t show actual sync speed
• Would be nice to have extra Wifi Options of WPA2 Only, WPA3 Only

IPv6
• IPV6 looks to be enabled; however, if the connection bounces, IPV6 seems to stop working
• If a device disconnects from WiFi and rejoins IPv6 address stops working
• No IPv6 Configuration exposed in the UI

5G
• RSSI value looks broken and stuck to -117, Assuming hardware lights are correct with the Bar status.
• Session Duration Blank, Volume usage blank on the main landing page

DNS
• Would be good to select from a predefined list of DNS servers, eg cloudflare, google, opendns etc...
Ethernet
• Stats are broken for the interface, sometimes will show Packet counts, Byte Counts or both if you are lucky
• Duplex/Speed negotiated not displayed

Logs
• The logs are minimal and have only ever shown INFO events , almost like no other logging is happening or the modules are only set to INFO internallu. Missing 5G events, Lan Events

Admin
• Set the inactive/logout timer to at least 30mins or allow it to be a config option

• Option to Dim/Turn off the Leds

SamKnows Data Stats

Total of 5 disconnections (16min 51s) registered in the past day

Date Average download (MT) Average upload (MT) Average latency Average packet loss
29 Jul 149 Mbps 19.3 Mbps 83.1 ms 0.0 %
28 Jul 110 Mbps 19.3 Mbps 87.7 ms 1.51 %

5G Modem stats

StatusUp
Access TechnologiesAuto
RSSI-117
RSRP-59
RSRQ-11
Connection Info78
SINR27
Bandwidth UI0
Bandwidth DI0

Hardware VersionSoftware VersionSystem Up TimeGUI Version

SGJy100058
2d 13h25m12s

26.07.2022 5:11:11info 
Interface wan6 is up.
26.07.2022 5:11:11info 
Interface wan is up.
26.07.2022 5:11:05info 
5G SA is already disabled, nothing to do
26.07.2022 5:11:04info 
Registered service domain is already in the wanted state, nothing to do
UE usage setting already set as Data centric, nothing to do
autosel already enabled, nothing to do
26.07.2022 5:10:54info 
Interface loopback is up.
Interface lan is up.
network-osu is starting...
Shane

We appreciate your time, especially the review of the service and modem. In the event that you require assistance for the cancellation of the Free Service Trial, please let us know so we can advise our Accounts Team and contact you.

There are indeed some issues with this modem. Hopefully, it’s all just software. Not sure if the Nokia one has the same issues ? or is more stable ?

I think I will be cancelling this service within the 30day trial, it’s okay for Netflix and some web browsing, but the latency spikes and dropouts are a bit of an issue;

unsure if it’s the modem/router as the Signal strength looks good; Tower is only 1 street over.

Some other things noticed/comments.

Bridge Mode
• Given the below issues, Bridge mode may solve many problems and treat the 5G device as an NCD/NTD/NTU etc. 

Wifi
• Unable to disable PMF (Protected Management Frames) or allow WPA1. Hence some older devices (printers, IoT) Can't connect correctly
• UI lets you select channels that won't work, Eg channel 165 won't work with 80Mhz width; unsure if the 'Auto' Mode is smart enough not to select a channel combo that isn't valid.
• Statistics are broken. Show devices connected to 2.4Ghz when they are on 5Ghz and don’t show actual sync speed
• Would be nice to have extra Wifi Options of WPA2 Only, WPA3 Only

IPv6
• IPV6 looks to be enabled; however, if the connection bounces, IPV6 seems to stop working
• If a device disconnects from WiFi and rejoins IPv6 address stops working
• No IPv6 Configuration exposed in the UI

5G
• RSSI value looks broken and stuck to -117, Assuming hardware lights are correct with the Bar status.
• Session Duration Blank, Volume usage blank on the main landing page

DNS
• Would be good to select from a predefined list of DNS servers, eg cloudflare, google, opendns etc...
Ethernet
• Stats are broken for the interface, sometimes will show Packet counts, Byte Counts or both if you are lucky
• Duplex/Speed negotiated not displayed

Logs
• The logs are minimal and have only ever shown INFO events , almost like no other logging is happening or the modules are only set to INFO internallu. Missing 5G events, Lan Events

Admin
• Set the inactive/logout timer to at least 30mins or allow it to be a config option

• Option to Dim/Turn off the Leds

SamKnows Data Stats

Total of 5 disconnections (16min 51s) registered in the past day

Date Average download (MT) Average upload (MT) Average latency Average packet loss
29 Jul 149 Mbps 19.3 Mbps 83.1 ms 0.0 %
28 Jul 110 Mbps 19.3 Mbps 87.7 ms 1.51 %

5G Modem stats

Status

Up

Access Technologies

Auto

RSSI

RSRP

RSRQ

Connection Info

SINR

Bandwidth UI

Bandwidth DI

Hardware VersionSoftware VersionSystem Up TimeGUI Version

SGJy100058

2d 13h25m12s

26.07.2022 5:11:11

info

Interface wan6 is up.

26.07.2022 5:11:11

info

Interface wan is up.

26.07.2022 5:11:05

info

5G SA is already disabled, nothing to do

26.07.2022 5:11:04

info

Registered service domain is already in the wanted state, nothing to do

info

UE usage setting already set as Data centric, nothing to do

info

autosel already enabled, nothing to do

26.07.2022 5:10:54

info

Interface loopback is up.

info

Interface lan is up.

info

network-osu is starting...

robxastro
Level 2

This explains why i can't get my Netgear AC1200 ec6200v2 repeater to connect to this stupid modem.. I've done a firmware update on it, but the sagecom still wont allow it to connect...  So since i took the 5g switch, i've had no internet in half of my house.. and have to buy another repeater to fix it..  awesome savings.