TPG Community

Get online support

TPLink VR 1600 V Internet Intermittantly Unavailable on 5ghz band only

Shane

Thanks for the clarification, tom89. We would like to arrange a call from one of our Technicians for further investigation and real-time testing. Let us know your account details (Username/Customer ID) together with your best contact number and preferred time.

Cheers!

j3r1cho
Level 2

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am on my third TPLink VR 1600 all with the same problem (TPG insisted I swap each time), including an engineer visit who also confirmed the issue on the 5Ghz network.

At this point TPG are refusing to provide a different make/model or assist further.

thegrach
Level 2
Nope. I had another router that I was using before I joined TPG that I now use. Pretty disappointing to be honest.
Ahra_G

Hi @j3r1cho,

We normally suggest to use 5GHz since it transmits data at a faster speed than that of 2.4GHz. However, the range is shorter for 5GHz and some older devices may not be compatible with it. So as a general rule, if your devices can detect 5GHz, then go for that band. Else, pick 2.4GHz as a last resort. 

AndriE
Level 2

Did anyone get this issue sorted?

I starting to have issue to connect to the 5ghz band.

Everything works fine with the 2.4ghz.

Nothing works with 5ghz band regardless restarting the modem, change ssid and password.

Nothing works.

BasilDV

Hi @AndriE,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Did you check if your devices are compatible to connect to the 5GHz network?

Were you able to connect those devices to the 5GHz network before?

What are the devices that you are trying to connect to it? (ex. iPhone, Acer laptop, etc.)

BasilDV

AndriE
Level 2

@BasilDV , yes the devices are compatible with the 5ghz network, those devices connected to the 5ghz network before.

I have iphone xs, latest macbook pro, ipad pro and now none of these devices can't connect to the 5ghz network.

BasilDV

Thank you for the update @AndriE.

Have you tried to reset the modem/router? If not, please reset it and retest if you can connect to the 5GHz network.

If yes, we'll arrange a call from our Tech team tomorrow to look into it further.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number along with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.

Here's an article on how to send a PM: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

BasilDv

AndriE
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV 

thanks for your prompt response. Yes I have restarted it many times and still nothing.

I'm iinet customer but the nbn modem was installed and supplied by TPG.

Should I contact iinet first?

BasilDV

Hi @AndriE,

Restart and reset are different.

I see. You need to contact iiNet as they are your main provider.

Regards,

BasilDV