TPG Community

Get online support

USB port in my Sagemcom Fast 5866T Modem does not work

kevin240au
Level 2

Hi team,

I just decided to switch from Optus to TPG less than a month ago.

TPG provided me with the modem Sagemcom Fast 5866T. It comes with USB port; however, I cannot connect it to my SSD to play media on my TV.

Do you have any ideas to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Kevin

30 REPLIES 30
david64
Level 15

Hi @kevin240au . When you say "can't connect", is it a matter of having correct cables with matching ends, or is it how to configure the Sagemcom?

What method did the SSD use with your previous router?

If the USB option is missing in the Sagemcom menu, that is something else TPG has removed.

An option is to convert the USB connection to ethernet using a USB/ethernet adapter (Belkin). You might also need s female to female USB connector.

kevin240au
Level 2
Hi David,

Thank you for your support.

I should have been clearer. It is how to configure the Sagemcom. As you said, I can’t see USB option in the Modem admin page. In other words, USB port is useless now.
For my previous Modem, I just need to connect my SSD to Modem via its USB-C port and then I can watch movies in my SSD on my TV.

But for now, my TPG 5G Modem is faulty in terms of USB connection. Should I request TPG to provide a new Modem with proper USB function?

Thanks and Regards,
Kevin
david64
Level 15

@kevin240au . TPG might suggest to turn sagemcom off/on, or factory reset, to see if the usb option returns. This would mean a bug in the firmware that makes usb option disappear.

Or, they might check with engineering section to see if the firmware version even has the usb function.
Or, it might be faulty as you say.
Or, revert to normal NBN connection. Your previous router may still work with TPG on NBN.
Or, experiment with the ethernet option mentioned above. The mac address of the adapter would have a fixed local ip address. The tv would have to be reconfigured to access a network drive. 
kevin240au
Level 2
Thanks for your suggestions.

I would try to do factory reset first before requesting a new replacement if it still does not work.

Do you know how I can contact TPG technician on this issue for their quick response? Via message or phone or other channels?

Kind regards,
Kevin
david64
Level 15

@kevin240au . A moderator may or may not look at this thread. But, open a new thread explaining that the USB menu is missing, that you've done reset and still no good.

Shane

Hi @kevin240au,

We will raise this with our Technical Team for investigation. Could you shoot us a PM with your details to better understand the situation.

How to send a PM?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I would try to do factory reset first before requesting a new replacement if it still does not work.

Do you know how I can contact TPG technician on this issue for their quick response? Via message or phone or other channels?

Kind regards,
Kevin

david64
Level 15

@kevin240au . Any progress here?

No progress after 9 months.

"Our Team is already working on a new firmware to fix USB Type C function, but there's no ETA as of the moment."  (https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Sagemcom-5866T-modem/m-p/110371)

kevin240au
Level 2

Thanks David.

BasilDV contacted me and arranged a call from TPG supporting technician for me last night. 

I received a call early morning as scheduled and had to say: What a terrible customer service call!!!

A lady with an unfriendly attitude and without knowledge about this issue kept trying to asked me to contact Sagemcom Fast 5866T Modem manufacturer to resolve this issue by myself. And this is all she and TPG can do for me now. I also informed BasilDV of this but there is no reply at all.

I will reconsider my decision of continuing with TPG as it seems a wrong choice.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Shane

Hi @kevin240au,

We can confirm that this has been raised to our Complaints Resolution Team. I sent you a Private Message, please check your inbox. 

Regards,

Thanks David.

BasilDV contacted me and arranged a call from TPG supporting technician for me last night. 

I received a call early morning as scheduled and had to say: What a terrible customer service call!!!

A lady with an unfriendly attitude and without knowledge about this issue kept trying to asked me to contact Sagemcom Fast 5866T Modem manufacturer to resolve this issue by myself. And this is all she and TPG can do for me now. I also informed BasilDV of this but there is no reply at all.

I will reconsider my decision of continuing with TPG as it seems a wrong choice.

Kind regards,

Kevin