TPG Community

Get online support

Using my own router with a TPG supplied modem/router

SOLVED Go to solution
hanthenan
Level 2

We have been sent a TPG pre-configured TP-link VX420-G2v modem/router to set up our FTTC NBN service. I have installed this and it is all working well, however we'd like to use our own router to reach further than the supplied modem/router (e.g. using a mesh WIFI network). Is there a way to convert the supplied modem/router to a modem only to enable this? I can't find it covered in the installation guide or elsewhere. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@hanthenan . If you don't have a NBN box, you must be on FTTN where the router connects to the wall socket and the phone line goes to a node in the neighbourhood.

Following are instructions to put Archer VR1600 in bridge mode but they might be relevant to the VX420.

To put Archer in bridge mode, basically delete the DSL connection with vlan id 2 and add new connection.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

The settings for your own router are:

PPPoE, username + @tpg.com.au and password.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @hanthenan . Since you have a NBN box, you might be able to connect your mesh device directly to it. Depends on whether the mesh device can do VLAN ID setting (Google devices can't).

hanthenan
Level 2

Unfortunately, we don't have an NBN box, as connected via the phone lines from the curb/node. In our previous house, we had FTTP so were able to plug the router straight into the box - but don't have that option at our new place, only the phone line into the modem/router. 

david64
Level 15

@hanthenan . If you don't have a NBN box, you must be on FTTN where the router connects to the wall socket and the phone line goes to a node in the neighbourhood.

Following are instructions to put Archer VR1600 in bridge mode but they might be relevant to the VX420.

To put Archer in bridge mode, basically delete the DSL connection with vlan id 2 and add new connection.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

The settings for your own router are:

PPPoE, username + @tpg.com.au and password.

hanthenan
Level 2
Thanks @david64. That has worked perfectly👍