TPG Community

Get online support

What router should I bridge for best network performance? TPG VR1600V or Amplifi HD?

SOLVED Go to solution
Dean
Level 2

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Mesh WiFi system to upgrade WiFi range and performace around my large house. I have LAN to most of rooms hence I'm looking at the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD as it has wired LAN backhaul to the remote access points. Should I put the TPG VR1600v router into bridge mode and use the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD as the router to maximise network performance? Or bridge the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD?

Are there any issues in bridging the TPG router? Will I lose any funcationality? The only functionality issue I can find in the forum is bridge drops out VOIP - is this correct? I don't use VOIP so this is not an issue for me.

Would love to hear recommendation on the best way to set thisup please.

Cheers,

Dean 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dean
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,

Thank you for the advise, it worked a treat. I changed the TPG Archer VR1600v router settings as you suggested, connected the Amplifi, followed the configuration set up and it worked perfectly.

Another piece of advice I recevied from someone who had the same hardware set up was to set the VLAN on the WAN port to 2. The router was already set to this so I didn't need to change it, so I'm not sure if this was necessary but he found it was.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Dean

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @Dean,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We tried to locate your account using your community details to no avail.

You are correct, the VoIP function will not work if you are going to set your TP-Link modem/router in bridge mode.

Also, we need to consider the type of NBN technology you have in order to provide proper information of the setup.

The Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Mesh WiFi system and Google WiFi Mesh are alike and you may consider checking the instructions that I've provided in this thread as one of our customers was able to use both devices.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

Dean
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,

Thank you for the advise, it worked a treat. I changed the TPG Archer VR1600v router settings as you suggested, connected the Amplifi, followed the configuration set up and it worked perfectly.

Another piece of advice I recevied from someone who had the same hardware set up was to set the VLAN on the WAN port to 2. The router was already set to this so I didn't need to change it, so I'm not sure if this was necessary but he found it was.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Dean

Shane

You're welcome, @Dean and thank you for sharing additional details. In case you will have queries in the future do not hesitate to create a thread here in our community. Cheers!