TPG Community

Get online support

ridge the WLAN 2.4GHZ and 5HGHZ VR1600V

Shadrou
Level 3

Hi,

i want to connect to my printer which is only support 2.4HZ and my other devices are on 2.4G and 5g, i need to bridge the WLAN , so i can access the printer on my network.

I know the VR1600V does support WDS so please can you advice how I enable this?

King regards,

11 REPLIES 11
david64
Level 15

Hi @Shadrou . The VR1600 supports WPS but it has to be enabled in the wireless settings.

Advanced, Wireless, Advanced Settings.

Start the WPS function on the printer, then press WPS button on top of VR1600.

The printer should be given a fixed ip address so it can be found by Windows. Then define the printer as a TCP/IP printer.

Shadrou
Level 3
Thanks, I asked for WDS to bridge 2.4ghz network to 5ghz
david64
Level 15

@Shadrou . WDS is not available on VR1600. AP isolation is not enabled on VR1600 so wifi devices should be able to connect to each other. Are you getting an indication that the printer cannot be accessed?

Shadrou
Level 3
when I am on 5ghz , I cannot access my printer which is on 2.4ghz band.
david64
Level 15

@Shadrou . If you connect your computer to 2.4G, can you access the printer?

Are you using Windows? How have you defined the printer?

Shadrou
Level 3
Yes, I can. I am using windows and printer connected to wlan . I am using brother software to use printer on my laptop.
my other laptop can only connect to 5ghz and I cannot use the printer.
Also I cannot ping the device on 5ghz wifi from a pc on 2.4ghz wifi.
david64
Level 15

@Shadrou . To clarify, you have 1 laptop on 2.4g and other laptop on 5g. If you run ipconfig command on each one to get each ip address, you say that each laptop can't ping the other laptop.

And, the laptop on 2.4g can print to the printer.

Shadrou
Level 3

yes, correct.

all the ip address are on 192.168.1.xyz.

does "VLAN" work, if i group (wifi_2.4 and wifi_5)?

david64
Level 15

@Shadrou . Interface grouping will not help or hinder the problem. All the wifi is in the same group anyhow. Group isolation would prevent connections between devices in different groups. 

Are you using a Guest Network?

My ethernet computer can ping my wifi devices. I can't explain why you are having this restriction.