TPG Community

Get online support

Disappointing sync speed 9 up/ 30down

SOLVED Go to solution
chrisbsharp
Level 2
Hey guys,

Is it worth me organising a cabler to check my new home out? Can you advise my cable distance from node? I just got my NBN service installed and the speed is very disappointing. Modem reporting 9 Mbps up / 32mbps down max attainable. The NBN service qualification tool here https://futurebroadband.com.au/sq/ says I should be 56mbps. I know I am roughly 550m from the pillar. Not sure where node is. I called support and was advised I am in the acceptable range and I can't get NBN to investigate if I am getting my best potential speed.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @chrisbsharp 

Welcome to TPG Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details.

The estimated distance from your location to the Node is 1.053 Km.

The speed that was given on the page that you've provided is just an estimated speed from NBN Co, but the actual speed will be different. For the NBN FTTN service, NBN utilizes the existing copper cable from the Node to the pit/pillar, then to your home. The quality and the cable length will greatly affect the speed of the service, just like of the ADSL2+.

Make sure that the modem is connected to the wall socket directly without a splitter/filter.

We'll lodged this case to our Engineering team for further investigation and check if the speed can be improved. An assigned Engineer will be in touch with you within 24 to 48 hours via SMS or phone call once an update becomes available.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

chrisbsharp
Level 2
Hey Guys,

My download speed is now 56mbps! Thank you! A tpg technician came out today and disconnected the other unused phone points from the junction box outside. He showed me how the the other points were reverbating the signal and degrading the connection. He then isolated to the socket i wanted and it gave me the speed the futurebroadband /NBN sq test said I would get - 56mbps. He was a lovely guy and very knowledgeable.

Modem now:
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 14424 54292
Max Rate (kbps) 14424 56031
SNR Margin (dB) 6.2 7.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 42.9 21.1

Thank you for sending a technician out to check and fix the cabling. It was going to cost $242 to get an independent technician out to do the check for me so you saved me heaps.

I would just like to suggest you inform the telephone support team that multiple phone points on FTTN connections can be escalated and investigated as I would advised there was nothing you could do. You forum guys have been brilliant.

Kinds regards,

Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @chrisbsharp 

Welcome to TPG Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details.

The estimated distance from your location to the Node is 1.053 Km.

The speed that was given on the page that you've provided is just an estimated speed from NBN Co, but the actual speed will be different. For the NBN FTTN service, NBN utilizes the existing copper cable from the Node to the pit/pillar, then to your home. The quality and the cable length will greatly affect the speed of the service, just like of the ADSL2+.

Make sure that the modem is connected to the wall socket directly without a splitter/filter.

We'll lodged this case to our Engineering team for further investigation and check if the speed can be improved. An assigned Engineer will be in touch with you within 24 to 48 hours via SMS or phone call once an update becomes available.

BasilDV

chrisbsharp
Level 2
Hey Guys,

My download speed is now 56mbps! Thank you! A tpg technician came out today and disconnected the other unused phone points from the junction box outside. He showed me how the the other points were reverbating the signal and degrading the connection. He then isolated to the socket i wanted and it gave me the speed the futurebroadband /NBN sq test said I would get - 56mbps. He was a lovely guy and very knowledgeable.

Modem now:
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 14424 54292
Max Rate (kbps) 14424 56031
SNR Margin (dB) 6.2 7.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 42.9 21.1

Thank you for sending a technician out to check and fix the cabling. It was going to cost $242 to get an independent technician out to do the check for me so you saved me heaps.

I would just like to suggest you inform the telephone support team that multiple phone points on FTTN connections can be escalated and investigated as I would advised there was nothing you could do. You forum guys have been brilliant.

Kinds regards,

Chris

Shane

Hi @chrisbsharp,

We're glad to know that the service improved using the new modem/router. We also did an article that you may find helpful, this will guide you on how to improve your wireless connection at home.

Feel free to visit the links below.

Regards,

chrisbsharp
Level 2
Hi Shane,

Thanks for reference information re setting up my wireless modem.

Just for the reference of anyone in a similar situation reading the this thread: the router wasn't changed. My issue was the multiple phone ports in my house causing interference with the VDSL / FTTN. Your tech visited my house, diagnosed this and corrected something by disconnecting all but one of the phone wires. I was very happy with the results.

Also I am 1km from the node which is an issue with the NBN design and technology I am on.

Kinds regards

Chris
Shane

You're welcome, @chrisbsharp. Thank you for sharing the resolution of the issue. In case you will experience technical issue in the future do not hesitate to create a new thread here in our community.

Cheers!