TPG Community

Get online support

FTTC NCD drops connection and resets if you touch or move it....

RLH
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, 

I'm very happy with my FTTC installation and performance except for one annoying feature. If you touch or move the NCD it immediately drops the connection and resets. Sometimes it doesn't reconnect and I have to either cycle the power for both it and the router (TP-Link as supplied) or failing that turn off both and then turn on the NCD, wait 5-10 secs and turn on the router.

Initially I thought the NCD may have had a movement circuit to stop the connection being taken to another premises, but now I'm not so sure.

Rgds

Richard.

5 REPLIES 5
2fly
Level 5

Hi @RLH

The NCD is pretty much a modem and it doesn't  have any moving circuit.

It's very likely that there's a loose cables on the NCD that's why it get disconnect everytime it move.

Did you notice which light on the NCD disapear when this happen?

If not try to pay attention on the LED of the NCD.

The LED on the NCD will tell you exactly where to focus when it happen.

RLH
Level 2
Level 2

Hi 2fly

Its the double link chain one - I presume it's indicating a link to the pit.

I can shake the power, rj45 and rj12 leads, wrap my hand on each and ground them and touch and wrap my hand around the NCD - all good, but as soon as I move the NCD a mm or try to pick it up.... boom, link gone.

Rgds

Richard.

2fly
Level 5

Hi @RLH

Well in that case it could be a hardware issue on the NCD it self.

You may want to get in touch with TPG to further check if they can ask NBN for a replacement

BasilDV

Hi @RLH,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Simply touching or moving the NCD should not cause the internet to drop.

It is possible that the hardware itself is faulty and might need to be replaced.

I'll escalate this with our Engineering team to assess and request for a replacement NCD once proven faulty.

They'll be in touch with you for details within the day.

Kind regards,
BasilDV

BasilDV

Hi @RLH,

Our Engineering team will not be contacting you anymore as we will process the request for the replacement of your NBN NCD.

Once you received the replacement, you need to return the faulty one back to us to avoide unnecessary charges. We will be sending an E-mail which with instrcutions on how you can send the faulty NCD to us.

Further updates will be posted once available.

Kind regards,

BasilDV