TPG Community

Get online support

Getting ASUS RT-AC68U to work with FTTN

SOLVED Go to solution
rokat551
Level 2

I bought an ASUS RT-AC86U thinking it would work straight out of the box with my TPG NBN FTTN. Wrong. I realise now it is a router only and requires a modem with FTTN.

I still have the original Archer VR1600V that came with the package but I find WiFi to be a problem which is why I purchased the Asus. Try as I might, I cannot figure out how to connect the two, or even if they are compatible.

Can someone step me through the connection process between the Archer and the Asus, or recomend a compatible modem that I could purchase to connect the Asus to the internet.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Reconnect the Archer so you have internet access.

Try this from the Asus manual.

To set up the operating mode:

1. From the navigation panel, go to Advanced Settings >Administration > Operation Mode tab.
2. Select  Access Point mode: In this mode, the router creates a new wireless network on an existing network.
3. Click Apply.
NOTE: The router will reboot when you change the modes.

There's no info on what this does to the router. Try cable from Archer to WAN port on Asus.

You need to access Archer gui to see what ip address is given to Asus to make further changes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi rokat551. If you don't want to use the VOIP phone service, you can use just the Asus router.

The AC68U has a RJ11 DSL port to connect to the wall socket. Plug it in then turn router on and it can detect the type of connection. 

Settings are: PPPoE, username with @TPG.com.au on end and password.

Also VLAN ID=2 but have a look here to see how to make that setting.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/NBN-Installation/Connecting-ASUS-RT-AC68U-to-NBN/m-p/20269#M1853

(The AC86U only has a WAN connector and needs an NBN box.)

rokat551
Level 2

Hi David64,

Thanks for responding. Sorry, I'm not having much luck though, I must be dyslexic as well as being unable to research a product properly. Ha!

I have edited my original post to reflect I actually have an AC86U which as you say ony has a WAN port. I don't have an NBN box, as I only have FTTN.

Is there a modem or other device that will allow me to use the AC86U or am I stuck.

Thanks for your help.

david64
Level 15

Reconnect the Archer so you have internet access.

Try this from the Asus manual.

To set up the operating mode:

1. From the navigation panel, go to Advanced Settings >Administration > Operation Mode tab.
2. Select  Access Point mode: In this mode, the router creates a new wireless network on an existing network.
3. Click Apply.
NOTE: The router will reboot when you change the modes.

There's no info on what this does to the router. Try cable from Archer to WAN port on Asus.

You need to access Archer gui to see what ip address is given to Asus to make further changes.