TPG Community

Get online support

NBN constantly dropping out

dp1
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there

We have been connected to the NBN for about 3 months now and only in the last week or so we have experienced constant drop offs. I lodged a ticket with TPG last Friday and was contacted via phone Saturday to change some settings. We were also advised to also restart/reset the moden which we have done. However the problem is still persisting.

Each time it drops out I check the Speed via the TPG app as well as settings on my laptop, and the lights on the modem and NBN connection box, and no faults are detected or recorded, the lights are all normal, which is perhaps even more frustrating that there isn't a detectable issue. 

As you can imagine working from home it's absolutely critical we have a strong connection, the past week has been quite frustrating. This morning alone we have had 3 dropoffs before 10am.

Before this last week, we had not experienced any issues with the service. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @dp1 . What type of NBN connection do you have?

What model wifi router?

Do you see drop offs on cabled devices or wifi devices?

What were the settings that TPG asked you to change?

dp1
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there David

Thanks for the reply.

- HFC connection

- Modem is the same one in this instructional video

- Drop offs are on Wi-Fi devices (phone, laptop, smart TV)

- They asked me to change the Primary and Secondary DNS

david64
Level 15

Hi @dp1 . You say only wifi devices. Did you check that your cabled computer was still ok?  Best speed test is the one on TPG support page.

Do the wifi devices reconnect or do you have to it? Once reconnected, are your sessions with work still active or have they been dropped?

TPG have these articles on wifi interference.

Interference could be from surrounding houses. Your phone can show what else is nearby and relative signal strength. The 2.4G band has greater range than 5G. Your wifi device can also show the wifi connection speed. Speed on each band decreases with distance.