TPG Community

Get online support

No telephone wall socket

awaisnisar9
Level 2

Hi,

I just moved into a new apartment. There is no telephone wall socket here instead there is an ethernet wall socket I connected 1 end of the wire in the wall socket and the other in the WAN port on the modem. but there is no internet. Someone told me that a telephone wall socket is a must. 
can anyone please tell me is it possible to get NBN through an ethernet wall socket?

thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Ahra_G

Hi @awaisnisar9 

Welcome to the Community! 

Based on the account located using your Community details, it appears that the service has just been transferred and you have the NBN Fibre to the Building technology. 

This technology still uses copper from the main distribution point up to your main wall socket. On the date of the installation of your Fibre to the building service, a technician will arrive at the Main Distribution Frame in the customer's building and connect the copper pair cable from the customer's side (MDF) to the FTTB equipment.

Have you tried checking other areas in the premise? If there's none, it is best to consult the building admin first on where the main wall socket is located. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

awaisnisar9
Level 2

Hi @Ahra_G 

I have been trying to reach the building admin but no reply from them. Yes I have looked at every wall in the apartment but there are only an ethernet socket and 2 coaxial sockets. 

Ahra_G

Hi @awaisnisar9

I have raised your concern to one of our Case Managers and I believe they have been in touch already. 

Should you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

awaisnisar9
Level 2
Hi @Ahra_G

The person who contacted me asked me to the connect the router with the ethernet socket using a telephone lead. I did that and the DSL light is blinking. I guess there is a problem in modem settings I think I have changed some setting due to which the internet is not connecting.

Can you please tell me which TPG username and password should I use in modem setting. And if I reset the modem will the setting go back to the setting which you guys did when providong us with the modem?

Thanks
david64
Level 15

Hi awaisnisar9.

Can you ask a neighbour how their internet is connected? Are they on NBN? Is their router connected to an ethernet wall socket? What type of cable is used? And which port on the router does it connect to.

What model wifi router do you have?

Settings. PPPoE, userid with @TPG.com.au on the end and password (the userid and password you use to logon to Post Office) and VLAN ID =2.