Regular Drop Outs

mattc_72
Level 2

We moved into our house 3 years ago and have had NBN through TPG since we moved in. 
Up until recently the service has been excellent.
About 2 months ago we noticed that between 6.30 and 8pm most nights the internet would drop out. 
Around the same time my family who are working and schooling from home noticed that this would also happen on several occasions during the day as well.
Most times we turn the modem/router off for a few minutes then turn it back on and it's fine. 

Is this likely to be a hardware or a software issue?
Is 3 years the lifespan of a modem/router these days?
Thanks,
Matt

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @mattc_72 . Do the dropouts occur on wifi devices only or ethernet computer as well?

Any change to the lights on router (Internet, WAN/DSL) or on NBN box?

What type of NBN connection do you have? How is the download/upload speed at different times of the day?

mattc_72
Level 2

Thanks for the reply David.

The dropouts occur both over wifi on various devices and through a T.V. connected by ethernet.
One of the lights on the modem/router goes out when the internet is no longer available but I'm not sure which one.
NBN connection is FTTN.
Speeds are usually in the acceptable zone at most times of the day.

david64
Level 15

@mattc_72 . Being on FTTN, you can check the DSL info in the router. It shows down and up line speeds and other line details (errors, attenuation, SNR). 

You can check the router's system log around the time you get a dropout. When a dropout occurs, give it a few minutes to see if it recovers, then save system log to computer before restarting the router.

You can copy in the DSL info and relevant part of the log here. And the light that goes off.

mattc_72
Level 2

How do I check the log?

david64
Level 15

@mattc_72 . What model router is it?

Login to router using admin userid. The DSL info will be on a status screen. The log is probably on a System screen. There will be an option ro save it on your computer. Use Notepad or Wordpad to copy and paste into here.