Switching Providers

SOLVED Go to solution
Missgoldy79
Level 2
This might seem like the dumbest question, but here goes.

Telstra was getting way too pricy, so I made the switch to TPG NBN. I signed up on Thursday, assuming it would take a few days.

I then cancelled my Telstra NBN on Saturday. All was fine, Telstra said it would shut down in 48 hours.

I’ve been receiving quite a few emails and phone calls from TPG about having no connection active yet, so I unplugged my Telstra modem and attempted to set up the new one. (ASUS AC 1500). I’ve connected to the router online to the required settings in the TPG instruction guide.

I get nothing but a DHCP failure every time.

I rung support, they guided me through the same process and configurations… same result.

When I switch back to the Telstra smart modem, internet works.

Dumb question- Do I have to wait until the Telstra shuts off/disconnects before I connect to TPG? Is this why it can’t establish an IP address? Because the Telstra network is still available?

Thanks!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @Missgoldy79 . Use Telstra until it stops working. Either Telstra has deactivated your account in their system or NBN has begun the changeover. Connect the Asus and wait.

View solution in original post

BasilDV

Hi @Missgoldy79

@david64 is right. Use Telstra service until it stops.

Your TPG service will not work until the transfer is completed.

Please note that if you are porting your landline number, you need to make sure that your Telstra account is still active while in progress. If not, the porting will fail.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi Missgoldy79,

The Telstra modem/router will only work if the connection settings is update with TPG's username and password also once the installation is complete.

Could you send us a Private Message so we can check the status of the installation? 

How do I private message (PM) in the community - https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093/highli...

Settings required for 3rd party modem/router to work.

You need to simply update the modem/router's details below.

Username: Your TPG Username

Password: Your TPG Password

Connection Type/Encapsulation: PPPoE

*For FTTN Select VDSL or VDSL2 as modulation type

Ensure your username, password and connection type are correct before proceeding. All other details can be left to its default setting.

Regards,

Missgoldy79
Level 2
I’m not asking if the Telstra modem is able to work with TPG.

I spent three hours this arvo trying to configure my NEW ASUS router but the tech person and myself couldn’t get it working despite all the PPPoE settings being correct. My nbn service is active but not connected.

I’ve reverted back to the Telstra modem for now which is still working under the old Telstra plan. I’ve cancelled this Telstra plan but the process/request is still in progress, so I’m relying on this for now.

I was simply wondering if the TPG connection won’t work until the Telstra service disconnects properly, which should be in around 24 hours time.

I’ll try again tomorrow with both the ASUS router and/or the Telstra smart gateway. I’ll private message if it’s still not working.
david64
Level 15

Hi @Missgoldy79 . Use Telstra until it stops working. Either Telstra has deactivated your account in their system or NBN has begun the changeover. Connect the Asus and wait.

BasilDV

Hi @Missgoldy79

@david64 is right. Use Telstra service until it stops.

Your TPG service will not work until the transfer is completed.

Please note that if you are porting your landline number, you need to make sure that your Telstra account is still active while in progress. If not, the porting will fail.

BasilDV

Missgoldy79
Level 2
Thanks for the replies :-)

Telstra officially disconnected today. I had no luck configuring the ASUS modem, but I WAS able to configure the PPPoE settings on the Telstra Smart Modem to TPG.

My internet is up and running. I don’t use a landline number, so all is good!
david64
Level 15

@Missgoldy79 . What is the actual model number of the Asus router?

Is it RT-AC59U? Or RT-AC1500UHP? Both are "AC1500".

Missgoldy79
Level 2
It’s an RT-AC59U

This may be where I came unstuck. JB hifi had no other modems that even resembled what I needed from the approved list from TPG.
david64
Level 15

@Missgoldy79 . Any success with Asus config?

In the manual, there is no description for setting VLAN ID or for IPTV or triple play.

In Advanced Settings, LAN, there is an IPTV tab but doesn't say what it does.

You could contact Asus. Does the router support VLAN ID on the WAN interface and how to set it?

Have a look at this. It is for RT-AC68U but looks to have similar menu system.

https://help.iinet.net.au/how-set-asus-rt-ac68u-nbn-fttc