TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link Archer 4000C Unusable Slow Speeds. FTTC.

SOLVED Go to solution
Skeleton
Level 3

Hi all, 

I have followed the install TPG instructions kindly provided here: TPG guide to install 3rd Party Router TP-Link Archer 4000C which do not actually work because you need to do this to actually connect: IInet Guide , turn on IPTV . I am now connected FTTC but at a horribly unusable low speed and on the PC and Laptop i am getting "DNS server not available errors" on every web page. My Android phone connects but is unusable. I have tried flushing the DNS and resetting the TCP/IP stack but that is as far as my technical knowledge goes. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this i would be very grateful.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Skeleton
Level 3

Thank for you taking the time to reply.

I fixed it, and i hope this can help others. It was a QoS issue. It sets the QoS bandwith levels off the first speedtest you perform. I quit halfway through my first test because i had forgotten another setting so it set them ridiculously low. You cant turn QoS off on a AC4000 router but what you can do is manually intervene from the advanced tab and set the up and down speeds to match your NBN plan.

Save and reboot the router, job done, running at full speed again!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @Skeleton . Are you using ethernet for the PC and Laptop?

Regarding the DNS server error, can you check the settings of the ethernet adapter on the laptop. My laptop had "Energy Efficient Ethernet" enabled which caused a problem (forgotten exactly what) when I changed to NBN. The new router has 1Gb ports while my ADSL router had 100Mb ports. Disabling this function fixed that problem. This setting might not be available on a desktop. Check that Speed/Duplex is set to 1Gb/Full on both computers.

What speed plan are you on?
In router admin, is QoS enabled and is there a value in the Upload Bandwidth?

Are you able to do the speed test on TPG's support page?
You can do some simple speed tests from your computer.

ping -n 10 192.168.0.1              router's default address

Response times should be 1 ms.

ping -n 10 203.26.27.38            TPG server

Response times should be < 10 ms.

tracert -d 203.26.27.38

Shows network path to TPG and delays.

On your Android phone, what wifi speed is showing on the connection in Settings?

Skeleton
Level 3

Thank for you taking the time to reply.

I fixed it, and i hope this can help others. It was a QoS issue. It sets the QoS bandwith levels off the first speedtest you perform. I quit halfway through my first test because i had forgotten another setting so it set them ridiculously low. You cant turn QoS off on a AC4000 router but what you can do is manually intervene from the advanced tab and set the up and down speeds to match your NBN plan.

Save and reboot the router, job done, running at full speed again!