hole fire rate

qbocko
Level 2

Hi,

I just got request from the strata to provide information if the hole drilled for the NBN cable (by a TPG technician) has a "fire rate". Did anyone got simillar reqest before?

Cheers,

Ivan

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @qbocko . Looks like no-one (including TPG) has any answers. "Fire rate" refers to fire proofing of the hole where the cable goes through the wall. In the same way that the front door of your apartment is fire-rated; to withstand heat and flame from the fire and prevent smoke entry.

What type of NBN connection do you have? (Is it HFC which uses a small black NBN box?)

Could you attach a picture from outside and inside showing the cable going through the wall? Also, outside showing how cable is attached to the apartment.

Did the TPG technician leave any forms?

Have you asked other residents about this?

qbocko
Level 2

Hi David,

Thanks for your help. I guess it's the HFC (I have small black box on my end). Re hole, you can't really see it because it's covered with the plastic cable ducting from both sides (from the outside set up by the NBN and from the inside by the TPG technician). From the ouside of the apartment they just drilled the hole in the position of the nbn cable so I'm thinking that this could be a question for the NBN and not for the TPG. 

Anyways, the strata asked the whole building for the fire rate. My rental agent is confused (never got this question before), TPG person I was talking to is confused (same reason) and I think the strata is confused too (I think they got this from a buidling inspector and they don't know what to do with it). 

Sorry for the long rant, if you have any ideas how to solve this I would really appreciate it.

Ivan 

david64
Level 15

Hi @qbocko . 

From my reading (from the internet), if NBN drilled the hole and fed the cable through, it's up to them to certify that the hole is properly sealed. They certify this with Telecommunications customer cabling compliance (TCA1) form, either one for each unit or one covering all units. Whichever, the documents should be kept by the strata manager with the other strata documents. This may become an issue with the annual fire inspection and if there is ever a fire insurance claim.
NBN install a small utility box on outside wall, then run cable through hole and install the wall plate for the NBN box. (Not sure what the TPG technician had to do. ) Strata should also check that the external cabling/conduit has been done in a workmanlike fashion (cable/conduit attached to wall, conduit ends sealed against water/insects).