TPG Community

Get online support

lightning strike fryed my nbn modem

Gullybull
Level 2
Last night around 6pm my nbn modem went ffft after a very close lightning strike. I have no internet since then. Thought id start here before i ended up on a call waiting.. darra qld. Cheers.
10 REPLIES 10
Shane

Hi @Gullybull ,

Welcome to the community! 

We're sad to know that the modem/router is not working after the power outage.I was able to locate the account using your community details and confirmed that the modem is out of warranty. I sent you a Private message about modem/router replacement.

I will wait for your response. 

Regards,

Zlex
Level 2
How do you know it’s the nbn modem, and not the TPG-supplied router?
Lost network connnectivity after a very close strike in a lightning storm on Sunday night, and have narrowed the problem down to either the modem or the router.
Thanks, Alex.
BasilDV

Hi @Zlex.

Welcome to the Community!

Are you still getting power on both devices? If yes, then we might need to check if your service is affected by a network outage.

If your location is not listed, then please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

BasilDV

Zlex
Level 2
Tnx for very prompt reply!
Yes, both devices have power, and the lights seem to behave more or less normally.
Qld 4217, NBN via HFC coax.
Will followup with pm, tnx.
BasilDV

Thank you for sending your account details @Zlex.

We checked the account and it shows that the modem/router is online.

Are you trying to connect via WiFi or Wired connection?

BasilDV

Zlex
Level 2
By wired Ethernet, thanks. Have simplified things to just a pc and a known good Ethernet drop cable connecting it to the router. Tried a couple of different PCs for good measure.
The PC can’t see the router, and does not get allocated an ip number.
Have just tried wifi: can connect to the router but no net traffic…
Zlex
Level 2
Errr, spoke too soon.
After an unusually long delay, wifi has come up and I can see the internet again.
Eureka! Speed seems ok.
My router had two wifi interfaces: I can see one but not the other.
Have just tried the wired connection again: even 192.168.1.1 is unreachable.
Sounds like the nbn modem might be ok, but the tpg-issued Huawei router might be badly injured…
BasilDV

Thank you for confirming that the internet is working via WiFi.

Have you tried all of the LAN ports on your modem/router for testing?

If yes and the same issue is evident, then you may try to factory reset the modem/router.

It usually connects automatically after the reset, but in any case, you may need to configure it with a PPPoE connection type with your TPG username and password.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

Zlex
Level 2
Gee, BasilDV, you’re blooming brilliant!
After the router reset, there is connectivity at last: the lan1 and lan2 interfaces seem to be working ok, but lan3 and lan4 are still deaf. All interfaces were deaf prior to the factory reset. Lan4 is the interface I usually use (via multiport router), and without your suggestion I would not have thought to try the other ones. Thank you!
I can heal my internet deprivation syndrome (60+ hours) now, using the working interface, thank you!
I guess I will need to look at getting a replacement router. Was never really happy with the Huawei unit, but if I get a newer better one router elsewhere, I’m aware that I’ll have to kiss the TPG-supplied viop phone service goodbye - gee I miss fibre to the home. Will need to think this one through.
I assume the router is out of warranty: could you please put me onto a page on your site which outlines how to order another if I decide to stick with TPG-issue router?
Eternally appreciative, Zlex.