TPG Community

Get online support

Clarity of approved / supported mobiles after 28th Oct 2024 on 4g/5g network

gcck88
Level 3

Hi there, there seems to be lots of confusion at the moment as to what mobile brands/models that are exactly supported by TPG post 28th of Oct, 2024. People are using various brands/models and most seems to work post the debacle of the "shutdown" which occurred in Jan 2024. Most people managed to find a solution to manually enable VoLTe using "codes" on their various brands/models to work again. Pre Oct 2024, your message to TPG customers that were on the unsupported brands/models :

"3G networks across Australia are due to shut down completely by 28 October 2024.

We have identified that your handset is not compatible with Australian mobile networks. While it can currently make standard calls on a 4G/5G network, it will not be able to make emergency 000 calls on any Australian mobile network from 28 October.

It may also be permanently unable to make any standard call Australia-wide from that date."

However, you have now changed it to :

"As mandated by the Australian Government, devices not compatible with emergency calling on 4G networks are to be blocked from using voice, SMS and data services in October 2024.

This applies across all mobile providers in Australia.

As previously advised, your device has been identified as not fully 4G compatible. We will start to block incompatible devices later this month. We will send a final notification prior to your device losing service."

However looking at the forums / community, there are TPG customers still using brands that are not on your approved / supported list but being told that they will be fine as long as they have 4g / VoLTe displayed on their devices. Are you expecting your current / new TPG customers to only purchase exact brands and models that are on your approved list in order to continue using your services?

Imma confused as heck .... Please advise.

23 REPLIES 23
alanguide
Level 8

I'm not sure the 'approved' list is complete. We have Galaxy A23, they are showing VolLTE and all other advice we have received is that model is OK (our phones are on Telstra)

gcck88
Level 3

@alanguide It certainly looks that way and hope you don't have any issues post the 28th but I'm hoping a TPG rep will reply back on this thread as their last email communication to the masses is very misleading. If they're going to just block those who they "assume" has an unsupported device which in fact is actually working fine, then I hope they are ready for a barrage of unhappy users coming their way!

alanguide
Level 8

Howver, as I said our phones are on Telstra.

@gcck88 wrote:

@alanguide It certainly looks that way and hope you don't have any issues post the 28th but I'm hoping a TPG rep will reply back on this thread as their last email communication to the masses is very misleading. If they're going to just block those who they "assume" has an unsupported device which in fact is actually working fine, then I hope they are ready for a barrage of unhappy users coming their way!

gcck88
Level 3

@alanguide 

TPG's latest comms email stated:

"This applies across all mobile providers in Australia."

alanguide
Level 8

Thanks. Telstra have told us that Galaxy A23 is OK, but I believe it is not on TPG list?

gcck88
Level 3

Yep A23 is not on TPG's supported / approved list (for now). Oh well, let the 25 days countdown begin and see what happens or at least till someone from TPG replies.

alanguide
Level 8

Perhaps someone at TPG could please confirm whether the Samsung Galaxy A23 will work on 000 after 3G closes?

alanguide
Level 8

I have now verified that our A23s are OK. I am on Telstra for mobile phone and by sending a message '3G' to 3498 on the phone to be verified an automatic checker is activated. Telstra service only..

kate_

Hey @gcck88. While you may find that your phone still works after the 3G closure is completed across all telcos in Australia, we aren't able to guarantee that you will be able to make or receive calls on these devices. This includes emergency calls to 000.

You can check out the Vodafone website here to find devices that are affordable and compatible with our network.