TPG Community

Get online support

Clarity of approved / supported mobiles after 28th Oct 2024 on 4g/5g network

alanguide
Level 8

What we appear to have here is not TPG specific. It is a certain amount of industry wide confusion. I suspect that some manufacturers welcome it as it tends to promote new sales. I'm satisfied with the autotest on my own phones.

gcck88
Level 3

Hi @kate_ so can I please ask that my service not be automatically blocked given that my mobile seems to meet all the requirements on TPG's supported devices page?

kate_

Thanks @gcck88.

If a phone is 4G VoLTE capable, that doesn't guarantee it will be able to make emergency calls after the 3G network is shut down. Unfortunately, there are some 4G VoLTE capable phones that are locked to 3G for emergency calling. Starting from 28 October 2024, new regulations will require that we turn off services to these devices. With that in mind, we're not in a position to support your request to not block your phone.

If you can provide the IMEI number of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro you're using, we'll see if we can confirm whether it's one that will be blocked. 

gcck88
Level 3

Hi @kate_ that's where the confusion sits at the moment and needs that clarification. So with my IMEI, you're able to tell if my 4G VoLTE capable phone is locked to 3G for emergeny calling? Since I can't test calling emergency services, how does checking my IMEI determine this? What if my mobile is capable of emergency calling and is not locked to 3G but you blocked it anyway?

kate_

We're trying to get that clarity for you, @gcck88. We're not simply blocking phones that aren't on the approved list. If your mobile is capable of making emergency calls over VoLTE and is not locked to making emergency calls on 3G only, we aren't required to block it. We are mandated to block phones that require a 3G network connection to make an emergency call. Keep in mind, we have no choice in that decision. 

If we have your IMEI, we can get some specifics for your situation. It can come down to the exact phone and not just the make and model, as various factors such as the country it was purchased in can play a part in it's capability.