TPG Community

Get online support

How to receive one-time verification code while overseas without incurring roaming charges

SOLVED Go to solution
Wes1
Level 2

How to receive one-time verification code while overseas without incurring roaming charges?

I understand that I need to have TPG sim card inserted in my phone and roaming activated in order to receive OTP.

I do not need to use TPG roaming for anything else.

How to set up Mobile Settings on my iPhone (iOS 17.4.1) in order to not incurre roaming charges for receiving OTP's?

Mobile Data ON or OFF ?

Mobile Data Option  - Roaming ON or OFF?

Any other settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aubrey

Hi @Wes1, you can turn off your data roaming on your device to avoid incurring any charges. Also, to prevent any bill shock, you must have a prepaid balance for you to access roaming services like sending SMS, and making/receiving calls.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ahra_G

Hi @Wes1,

If you need to receive an OTP on your Australian number and is currently overseas, you will really need to enable your Roaming service.

If Roaming is off, you will not be charged for anything as your Australian mobile service is not usable overseas. 

You may have a read on this article: TPG Mobile International Roaming - FAQ

Let us know if we can assist further. 

-Ahra_G

Wes1
Level 2

Hi Ahra_G,

Thanks for your reply, I do now that I need roaming to receive OTP while overseas. I said that in second paragraph of my original post.

I also read TPG Roaming Gide before I posted my question. No answer to my question there.

I am asking about iphone settings, as I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars in charges.

Do I need to have roaming data service on on my I phone, while ovberseas?

I just need TPG roaming to receive OTP nothing else.

Thank you

Aubrey

@Wes1 For international roaming, incoming SMS has no charge. Only sending SMS, using mobile data, and making and receiving calls do.

You can check this link for roaming rates: https://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/intlroaming

Wes1
Level 2

Hi Aubrey,

Thanks for your post.

TPG moderators have a gift for not answering my questions, and obviously never been overseas.

As soon as you are abroad with your phone turn on, and roaming enabled your device starts to download all sorts of updates and messages in the background and all are using roaming services.

As I said in my previous post, I red the roaming guide and I know there are no roaming charges for SMS received.

Again - 

What are the iPhone settings for roaming, as to not to incurre roaming charges.

iPhone setting - Mobile Data be ON or OFF?

iPhone setting - Mobile Data Option - Roaming Off or ON

iPhone setting - Data Roaming - OFF or ON

Regards

Wesley

Aubrey

Hi @Wes1, you can turn off your data roaming on your device to avoid incurring any charges. Also, to prevent any bill shock, you must have a prepaid balance for you to access roaming services like sending SMS, and making/receiving calls.

Wes1
Level 2

Hi Aubrey,

Thanks for your solution.

Just to clarify, international roaming is charged from prepaid balance not from my TPG account. Is that correct?

Regards

Wesley

adib_rahmang
Community Manager

That’s spot on, @Wes1.