TPG Community

Get online support

Mobile data too slow when using as hotspot

shaeduncan
Level 2
Hi, I am having a lot of issues with my mobile data speed when using my phone as a hotspot. The issues only started today, before that everything was going great. Now I can't even load a website, on my laptop or my mobile phone, when using it as a hotspot.
5 REPLIES 5
Ahra_G

Hi @shaeduncan

Let's check what seems to be causing this issue and start with these questions: 

• Have you tried inserting the SIM on a different handset? 
  • Did you notice whether there's a recent update on your handset? 
  • What are the basic troubleshooting you've done so far? 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

shaeduncan
Level 2
I unfortunately don't have any other devices to try it on. My data works fine on just my mobile, but the moment I try to connect my laptop to the mobile hotspot it completely crashes, I can't load even the simplest page. It's been that way for a few hours, this morning it was completely fine.
No updates in the past couple of weeks atleast, and I'm not sure what troubleshooting I should be doing apart from the classic switch it off and back on again to be honest
Ahra_G

Gotcha, @shaeduncan

Send away your TPG mobile number via PM so we can check your account and have you assisted by our Mobile Team. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

shaeduncan
Level 2
Pm sent, thankyou
david64
Level 15

Hi @shaeduncan . When you enable the phone's hotspot, but without connecting the laptop to it, does the phone's internet still work?

Before connecting laptop, check the phone's background data usage. Is it changing over a few minutes?

Is your laptop Windows? Are you familiar with Windows Task Manager? You can use Networking tab to see what Windows is sending/receiving on the wifi interface.

Connect the laptop to the phone's hotspot.

Check network activity in Task Manager and in phone's background data.