TPG Community

Get online support

Phone showing 'SOS only'

snv
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, phone is an iPhone XR, phone/service has been operating fine for 3+ months but now started showing 'SOS only', I've tried:

- Inserting sim into another iPhone and it's fine

- Restarting iPhone XR

- Checked carrier is set to auto, tried manual

- Phone is not on aircraft mode

thanks

14 REPLIES 14
BasilDV

Hi @snv 

Welcome to TPG Community!

Based on what you've advised us, the SIM card is working on a different iPhone, but not on your iPhone XR.

You've done the usual troubleshooting that we'll provide, but the issue still persists. You need to contact iPhone/Apple support to check the device as it is possible a phone issue.

Regards,

BasilDV

snv
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

So far I've spoken to Apple and tried a few things and phone still not working, I called TPG support and they said nothing wrong with service but it can be escalated to tier 2, so then there could actually still be an issue on TPG end but the tier 1 doesn't know (really helpful). 

When I go into General > About > Primary, it has Network "not available", when I click on this the message is "Phone not allowed", which to me suggests it's been blocked on TPG's network. This entire troubleshooting process by Apple/TPG has so far been a waste of time

BasilDV

Hi @snv,

Have you tried to use a different SIM card with your iPhone XR? Was it working?

If a different SIM card is not working as well, then there's an issue with the phone itself.

Regards,

BasilDV

snv
Level 2
Level 2

Yes tried another SIM card in the iPhone XR and couldn't connect, it was a sim card from another provider as well. Didn't get SOS only message but the service wouldn't connect. I told Apple this and they still insisted it was a TPG issue.

BasilDV

There's the answer, @snv.

You are using a different SIM card from another provider and it's still not working.

It is clear that the issue is within the iPhone XR and not the TPG SIM.

It is best if you go direct to their service center or Apple store in order for them to have a check of your device.

Regards,

BasilDV

snv
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks, that's what I thought as well.. but Apple support are useless

BasilDV

Sorry to hear that @snv.

We hope that Apple has a service centre near your place to raise this concern with their device.

Should you require further assistance, please let us know.

Regards,

BasilDV

snv
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I took the phone into an Apple store, they looked at it for a few hours and came to the conclusion the TPG/vodafone network is blocking the phone. 

Shane

Hi @snv,

Thanks for the additional details. We've seen that you have been in contact with one of our Mobile Technician and confirmed that the Mobile SIM is working using a different handset.

TPG/Vodaphone mobile network do not block any specific brand of smart phones. The SIM Card will only not work on a smart phone is locked to a specific mobile provider or if the smart phone's network is configured to mobile service provider offshore.

I don’t have any further updates differing from what has already been communicated to you. Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!