TPG Community

Get online support

5g home broadband is getting slow

gkrnduddud
Level 2
I tried change to 5g home broadband and at that moment, it was not bad speed but it is getting slow and today when I check even less than 3mb. It is even hard to see Netflix or YouTube. I understand that speed could be flexible by how many customer who use together but it is not really expected after I change internet plan. My house is not even far from city as well. I wonder it is gonna be fine or not I wanna change to nbn again. Thank you
18 REPLIES 18
BasilDV

Hi @gkrnduddud

Thanks for raising this with us.

Is the 5G Home broadband modem/router located near the window?

Did you test the speed of the internet via Wired connection as well? 

Have you tried rebooting the modem/router to check if it's going to improve your connection speed?

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check on this further.

BasilDV

Adam2
Level 2
Same with mine. Doesn’t matter where I put the modem. Speeds were initially good at all times. Now I’m only getting 100 before 6am. After that it gets as slow as 2mbps. I’m switching back to NBN. TPG are reluctant to admit anything but I did ask if they were a lot of complaints about it right now and there are. I’m guessing it’s the tower and not the modem.
Angeli

Hi @Adam2

The 5G Home Broadband speeds are variable and may be subject to data de-prioritisation. This could mean that during periods of congestion some data traffic will receive less priority over other traffic on the network, and you may experience slower 5G Home Broadband speeds as a result.

If you wish to be reverted to NBN, you may send a private message with the following:

NBN customer ID/username:

Home Wireless account number:

Registered name:

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Thanks!

kokyong1982
Level 2
I have the same problem as well, is so frustrating whenever using the 5g home broadband, my phone 4g is even more stable and faster, upgrade from home nbn to 5g home broadband is my regret
Ahra_G

Hi @kokyong1982

I would recommend having a read on Factors affecting 5G Home Broadband Speed.

May we know the approximate speed you are getting? 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

kokyong1982
Level 2
Download speed at 10mbps off peak hour, around 5mbps at peak hour, upload speed at 3-4mbps
Ahra_G

Thanks for confirming, @kokyong1982,

Speeds may be slow during peak traffic in the evenings. Speeds may also be slow when the network is experiencing periods of high usage that cause congestion. During periods of network congestion, we may de-prioritise your 5G Home Broadband speeds. This could mean that during periods of congestion some data traffic will receive less priority over other traffic on the network, and you may experience slower 5G Home Broadband speeds as a result.

Nonetheless, we'd be glad to have your service checked by our Tech team.  May we know the best time to contact you on 16 May 2022? 

kokyong1982
Level 2

after 3pm, can i change back to my old nbn home broadband? this 5g home broadband is too frustating

Ahra_G

I understand, @kokyong1982.

I'll organise a call back instead from our Accounts Team should you wish to change to NBN line service. 

Let me know if I can assist further. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G