TPG Community

Get online support

Chromecasts are suddenly no longer discoverable on streaming services

fkschoond
Level 2

Suddenly my 3 chromecast 2nd generation devices are no longer visible to use on all streaming platforms.  Each device has been factory reset and reconfigured but are seen as "disconnected" in Google home.  Google have advised this is a router issue.  I have a Sagecom 5866T 5g modem and the chromecasts were working fine on it for 6 months until about 10 days ago.

5 REPLIES 5
bradstix
Level 3

Hi @fkschoond  I had the exact same issue when the Google Home app updated. Check via Play Store when it last updated as I feel that Google changed something in the Home app with the security.

The 5G Sagemcom router seems to not play nice and my money is on AP Isolation which cannot be disabled in the config or to do with the WPA-3 security.

After lots of troubleshooting, I just connected up my TP link router as an access point and use it for Wi-Fi and disable the WiFi on the Sagemcom. Key thing to note is when AP Isolation is ON on the TP Link the same error occurs with Google Home App not allowing control of the devices. As soon as I turn it OFF again in the TP Link settings, everything plays nicely again Smiley Happy

Really hoping for a Sagemcom firmware update soon to be able to turn AP Isolation OFF Smiley Happy

fkschoond
Level 2

Thanks - not super tech so can you tell me how to configure this - ie how to connect tpg link to wifi modem etc.

bradstix
Level 3

Hi @fkschoond  - I was PM'ed some instructions from @BasilDV that help with using the TP Link VR1600v as an AP - hope this helps.

Main part was when logged into the router:

Under 'Advanced' tab go to 'Network' tab under Network tab go to 'EWAN' page.

You need to disable the VLAN ID (Uncheck) then set the Internet connection type to Dynamic IP and click on 'Save'

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-as-access-point/m-p/37915#M4346

waseef21
Level 2

Had a chat with IT. It's most definitely an issue with the Sagecomm modem that is supplied that does not allow/is incompatible with these smart devices like google nest/security cameras/smart bulbs etc. I hope a software update can be done to fix the issue. I hope it is not some sort of hardware incompatibility. They have told me they will be talking about this issue during their next IT teams meeting.

For now, the best solution is to use a separate router as an access point if you want to continue running your smart home. 

surrid
Level 3

@waseef21 - Not sure how it could be a hardware issue - it was working just fine (same hardware!) until about a month ago. 

I hope they hurry up with that IT team meeting. How many customers do you think are on their 5G home broadband service, with the same router, and at least one smart device? I would bet many. Poor show, TPG.