TPG Community

Get online support

FTTB: 5G have so much drop

SOLVED Go to solution
imsumitar
Level 2

Hi Team,

I am a new customer and from day 2 onwards I am facing issue below major 2 issues:

1. 5G Wifi service not stable and so much drop in the speeds as well.

2. My public IP address keep changing why? Please fix it. 

Please look this issue and try to close it ASAP.

Regards,

Sumit Arora

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
imsumitar
Level 2

Thanks for your support!

Had a call with 1 team member who helped me to resolved the issue!

Regards - Sumit

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

Hi @imsumitar .

1. The 5G wifi has less range than the 2.4G. How does your wifi device go when on 2.4G?

What down and up speeds do you get on TPG speedtest on 2.4G and 5G?

What is your NBN plan speed?

2. Residential plans come with a dynamic ip address which can change from time to time. It only changes if you restart the router or there is a network fault that breaks your connection. A dynamic ip address should last for weeks unless there is a fault somewhere (faulty connection, blackout or NBN maintenance).

(Business plans have a fixed ip address but they can still get dropouts.)

imsumitar
Level 2

Hi David n Team,

I am next to WiFi rounter to use the 5G service but unable to use Smiley Sad

This is FTTB connection (ADSL if I am correct) Where my plan is 90 mbps. Test speed is:

2.4G: 30 download 22 upload

5G: 91 download 37 upload

So, can you let us know when the 5G problem will be solved ? 

Also, I need a static IP for my work. How can I acheive that ? In last exetel connection I didn't face this problem.

Thanks,

Sumit

david64
Level 15

@imsumitar . You look to be on a 100/40 plan.

What exactly is the problem with the 5G wifi? Its speed is nearly as good as an ethernet computer.

Is it a range problem? The 5G range is less than 2.4G.

These articles might improve your wifi.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...

imsumitar
Level 2

Hi David,

Thanks for your response! Smiley Happy 

The problem which we are facing is dropout of 5G services. Speed fluctuation and even sometime its show no internet. Speed go down less than 10 to 15 mbps. 

When we are in call (MS Team) can't hear the person due to speed fluctuation. That is a problem in 5G

Appreciate your support.

Regards - Sumit

david64
Level 15

@imsumitar . FTTB means your router is plugged into the telephone wall socket.

When you have dropouts, does the Internet light on the router go off? For how long?

What happens to the DSL light?

Does the wifi device stay connected to the router?

What is the wifi connection speed between the device and router?

In the router admin, can you post back here the DSL info on Advanced, Status screen.

On this status screen, under Internet, is your public ip address. How often do you think it changes?

Ahra_G

Hi @imsumitar

The primary difference between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies is range. u2.4GHz frequency is able to reach farther than the 5GHz frequency. This is a result of the basic characteristics that waves attenuate much faster at higher frequencies. So if you are more concerned with the coverage, you should select 2.4GHz rather than 5GHz.

The second difference is the number of devices on the frequencies. 2.4GHz suffers more interference than 5GHz.  The 2.4GHz frequency is way more crowded than 5GHz, devices on 2.4GHz suffer much more interference than the ones on 5GHz.

As advised by @david64, Residential plans that we offer are using Dynamic IP address. 

Nonetheless, I have organised a call back to be made today from our Tech team for further assistance. I've found your account using your Community details and used the registered mobile number on the account. 

Feel free to let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Ahra_G

imsumitar
Level 2

Thanks for your support!

Had a call with 1 team member who helped me to resolved the issue!

Regards - Sumit