TPG Community

Get online support

HFC compatible routers

BasilDV

Hi @trilogy

You may check this Youtube link for the video that I've sent to @memeweaver.

BasilDV

jman938
Level 2

I have TPG FTTC and an ASUS DSL-AC68U and the solution posted by @bigRED worked perfect for me.

When I had ADLS2 the ASUS worked great in our 3 storey town house (modem on ground floor with 96% signal on top floor). But when we switched to FTTC and had to use the supplied router from TPG it's just typical ISP supplied junk hardware and was lucky to get 60% signal upstairs. 

An additional step I did was factory reset the ASUS because I had previously played around trying to get it working and had changed a few of the settings.

The only negative is I have 3 devices for a simple internet connection. Not that big a deal as they are tucked away out of sight but I might look at Optus 5G home broadband if I need to change anything.

adsllcei
Level 3

THis is probably a bit late, but I gather ASUS lock VLan ID2 for some other purpose.  I have no idea why TPG still use VLan tagging other than no one told them it is not necessary if you have a wan connection from an NBN device.  Even wanting the username and log in for the first connection is bizare.  Its not as though someone else can come in and hook up to your fixed line in your house.  I can only assume it is because they have completly unskilled staff in their tech area and so they use the one modem/router for everyone with the preconfigured settings.  I just want a router that doesn't drop to half speed every day until I reboot.

adsllcei
Level 3

That worked because it is a modem/Router and they all have Vlan settings.  But for FTTC you only need a router and if you didn't already have one, why pay more for one with a modem that you don't need.  The best I can figure out is that with the  router only version you have to go into the IPTV settings and pretend you are setting up for IPTV so you can then allocate VLan tag to lan ports you pick.  Even Telstra doesn't need Vlan tagging and definatley no log in or Vlan with aussie broadband.  Try and use the new google wifi nest mesh router.  No Vlan setting on it.  SO you already have an NBN modem (termination device), then you have to keep that bit of garbage Archer VR1600V as a DHCP server and use your google as an access point.  There clearly is noone in the marketing department saying how can we provide a better service to customers.

claytonchatham
Level 2
Id like to find out if i can get

TP-Link Archer AX10 AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 AX1500 Router
Ahra_G

HI @claytonchatham

What we provide for our NBN services are TP Link Archer VR1600 modem/router and TP Link C1200 router.

You can use any type of router so long as it is NBN compatible. 

We do not recommend any brand and it is best to check with a professional at an electronic store as to which one would suit your internet needs. (Wi-Fi consideration, modem speed etc)

Cheers! 

claytonchatham
Level 2
Haha, I'm an IT support tech and i don't understand what is required. There is so many posts out there that suggest your settings won't work on most routers. Can this be passed onto one of TPG support tech please.
Riezl

It's would be best if you know what type of NBN service is available at your address. May we know if you are an existing TPG customer? If yes, please send us a private message with your account details so we can have a look.

Vajco
Level 2
I kind of understand that the tech support is limited by what is probably a management decision to lock down their service to a junk device and support a single device only, rather than opening a can of worms that would require intense support and troubleshooting.
What I don't understand though is
- why aren't the firmware updates public
- why there is no official list of the devices that users managed to connect to the service with the step by step instructions.

I'm seriously considering the change of provider just because of lack of support for other devices.
Shane

Hi @Vajco,

Though we supply a single type of modem for some of our services such as fttn, fttc, hfc, etc, their firmwares are different, as each firmware is designed to work well with both our system and the type of technology it is connected to.

We may not provide technical support to 3rd party equipments, but we can provide our customers with the basic settings in order for them to set up their equipments. We'll take your suggestion into consideration.

Regards,

I kind of understand that the tech support is limited by what is probably a management decision to lock down their service to a junk device and support a single device only, rather than opening a can of worms that would require intense support and troubleshooting.
What I don't understand though is
- why aren't the firmware updates public
- why there is no official list of the devices that users managed to connect to the service with the step by step instructions.

I'm seriously considering the change of provider just because of lack of support for other devices.