Thanks for the clarification @Clowndamage,
We'll make an investigation with our supplied TP-Link modem/router. On the other hand, I recommend to contact XboX support to see if they can provide you other resolution. We'll notify you once we got an update about this.
Welcome to TPG Community!
Our network engineering teams are currently investigating this issue.
When you configure the static IP on your XBOX, what IP address are you using?
You should be selecting an IP in the 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.90 range to avoid conflict with the VR1600’s default DHCP range.
It is unusual that it works via wireless and not via the LAN ports though. Have you tried different LAN ports or Ethernet cable?
Have you tried resetting the modem back to its default settings as well to start fresh?
I'm not an Xbox user but you may want to try editting the DCHP Settings of the modem and
Set the end IP address to 253 and set your Xbox IP address to 254 this will surely avoid any conflict with DHCP. Then change the DMZ Host IP to 254 as well.
Other thing you can try is use DHCP on your X-Box and Let the VR1600 give the IP addrss using the Address reservation and reserver a Specific IP for your Xbox.
Then Configure the DMZ settings for that IP address that's reserver for your X-Box.
Let me know if this help.
Hi @Gryph I've just read through this thread and I'm thinking it's more a basic issue such as the Ethernet connection running intermittently at half duplex, this might explain why it's ok on WiFi and hit and miss on Ethernet, can you confirm what speed your Xbox is connecting to the VR1600v.
Log in and click the VR1600v icon and your link speed on any lan port will be displayed on the bottom of the page as per pic below.
I think you might be on the winner there; one thing I didn't look at. But yes, correct - It is only getting 100Mbps when connecting via the ethernet cable.
Swapping with another cable which was previously showing as 1000Mbps and into another port still shows the same. Although the process of unplugging and replugging in changed the Xbox network status from unavailable to open (effectively the same as rebooting either device)
I had it originally in LAN1 and shown as 100Mbps - Swapped to LAN4 and shown above as 100Mbps. So not getting the full speed; so will swap back to wireless for now for a more reliable connection.
Side note - Still on ADSL as NBN did not happen yesterday, partly due to the original install location of the box outside. Was placed under a fire hose which can cause a lot of water and the otherside of wall impedes use of door and no power nearby. When originally I asked them to install it at a different location; which would mean an extra ~5m run of cable through the carpark basement which it is already doing and come up on a different wall and close to power and all equipment. So now back to them to get that box moved; Something that was originally slated back in 2017 now is pushed out even further.