TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up Netgear Nighthawk AXE7800 Router (RAXE300) on FTTC

nermaparlic
Level 3

Hi.

I bought new router: Netgear Nighthawk AXE7800 Router (RAXE300) and having issues connecting it to my existing FTTC.

I have spoken to TPG support, where i was given instructions to:

- select PPPoE

- eneter username (my username without "tpg.com.au") and password (the password i use to log into my account)

- create VLAN ID = 2 and Priority = 0

This did not help to get internet going.

Next, i spent 3 hours with Netgear support, where they tried many things, upgraded firmware, did factory reset, powered everything down,...

Now Netgear support needs answer to these 3 questions:

1. Will ethernet connection from NBN Connection box to a laptop enable internet on my laptop?

2. Does TPG support Netgear Nighthawk AXE7800 Router (RAXE300) as a valid router?

3. Is it possible that this issue is due to the fact that Netgear Router is different to TP Link Modem Router (the word "Modem" is a key)? 

Apprecaite if you could answer these 3 specific questions. 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @nermaparlic ,

Try this. Connect the NBN NCD to LAN4/WAN (or designated WAN port) of the router.

Make sure to use VLAN ID: 2 and PPoE.

1. Will ethernet connection from NBN Connection box to a laptop enable internet on my laptop?

-- Yes, this should work by creating a dialer directly to your desktop/laptop.

2. Does TPG support Netgear Nighthawk AXE7800 Router (RAXE300) as a valid router? 

-- If the router supports WAN connection it should work.

3. Is it possible that this issue is due to the fact that Netgear Router is different to TP Link Modem Router (the word "Modem" is a key)? 

-- VDSL2+ modem/router, I also checked it on google it seems that the modem is compatible with NBN-FTTC.

You can also try to add on the modem settings.

Update the MTU size to 1492.

Go to ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup and click Apply to save.

Regards,

nermaparlic
Level 3

Hi Shane.

Thanks for your reply, I followed your advice, however it did not make any difference Smiley Sad.

As for connecting my laptop directly to NBN Connection box, i followed reccomended steps to set up new PPPoE connection, enetered username and password, however i was unable to establish the connection. The error message was "Error 651". Note that i tried resolving this error by checking cables, restating my laptop, restarting the NBN Conenction box. None helped.

Does this mean the issue is on TPG side, which then in turn is causing the issues for me to set up new Netgear router?

david64
Level 15

Hi @nermaparlic . 

The Netgear is a router in the same way that TPG supplied devices are routers. A router connects to the NBN box which is the modem - the interface to the NBN network.

Are you on Bundled NBN/VOIP plan (use VLAN ID=2), or Data Only plan (VLAN ID not used)?
Do you have your old router to verify this setting? And the format of your username?

From the manual:
Do factory reset first. Make sure Netgear is in Wireless Router mode (default setting).
4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP.
The Router / AP / Bridge Mode page displays.
5. Select Router Mode.
The page adjusts.
6. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.

4. Select Internet.
The Internet Setup page displays.
5. In the Does your Internet connection require a login? section, select the Yes radio button.
6. In the WAN Preference section, select one of the following options:
• Internet Port (1 Gbps). Select this option if you connected a modem to the Internet port on your router.
Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1 Gbps). Select this option if you want to use the Multi-Gig port for your Internet connection. For more information, see Get Multi-Gig Internet with the Multi-Gig port on page 32.

You'll use the "Internet 1G" port.

If you need to use VLAN ID:
4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > VLAN/Bridge Settings.
The VLAN/Bridge Settings page displays.
5. Select the Enable VLAN/Bridge group check box.
The page expands.
6. Select the By VLAN tag group radio button.
The page expands.
7. Click the Add button.
The Add VLAN Rule page displays.
8. Specify the following settings for the VLAN tag group:
• Name. Enter a name for the VLAN tag group.
The name can be up to 10 characters.
• VLAN ID. Enter a value from 1 to 4094.
• Priority. Enter a value from 0 to 7.
9. Select the check box for a wired Ethernet port or wireless network.
If your device is connected to an Ethernet port on the router, select the wired Ethernet port check box that corresponds to the Ethernet port on the router to which the device is connected. If your device is connected to your router’s WiFi network, select the WiFi check box that corresponds to the router’s WiFi network to which the device is connected.
You must select at least one Ethernet port or wireless network. You can select more than one port.
10. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved. The VLAN tag group is added and enabled.

nermaparlic
Level 3

Followed all the steps: performed factory reset, made sure the mode is router mode, set up VLAN ID=2  (I have Bundled NBN/VOIP plan), confirmed my TPG username and password are correct, still no luck Smiley Sad

This is becoming ridiculous.. Netgear support does not accept this is HW issue, neither can suggest config changes to make this work

david64
Level 15

@nermaparlic . The thing I forgot to say, but the moderator did say, was to set PPPoE.

What is the state of the 4 lights on FTTC box?

What is the state of the Netgear Internet light and LAN5 light?

BasilDV

We also want to check if the router is trying to authenticate to the network @nermaparlic 

Please send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

nermaparlic
Level 3

Hi David.

Yes, i selected PPPoE.

The lights on NBN Connection box: all blue, LAN light flickers sometimes, others are steady

Netgear lights: all white, except Inetrnet - its's red constantly

nermaparlic
Level 3

Now i cannot reply using private messages, i am getting this:

You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later.

I sent 1 private message so far. Any idea how to fix this?

BasilDV

Hi @nermaparlic 

Try it again as we've refreshed your account.

BasilDV