TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Router constantly rebooting

SOLVED Go to solution
Si
Level 3
Level 3

Woke up this morning and my Archer 1600 Router was constantly rebooting every few mins. I would get connected to the NBN for a new mins, then all lights would flick on, then off and then just the flashing power light, indicating the router was rebooting.
I rebooted everything, including the HFC NBN box and the router. Still the same.

Left the Router off for an hour, plugged it back in and exactly the same thing was happening.

Called TPG support.

He asked a number of questions and did a line test, which was "normal".

He asked me to "borrow a new Router from a friend" to see if the Router or the line (?).

I asked, if it was the Router, would TPG replace it and I was told "because there is a global Chip Shortage, TPG isn't providing any replacement routers at the moment".

Which means, I am left with NBN from TPG without a working Router, which seems a little odd.

I have an old "spare" Asus RT-AC68U Router, however I can't get any Wi-Fi networks from it. I have configured it for access to the internet via Ethernet but numerous factory resets, changing SSID names, turning hidden networks on and off hasn't fixed the issue.

I know TPG or this forum doesn't support my Asus, but leaving me with no Router seems a little odd.

Out of interest, should TPG be supplying me with a working Router or do I need to go and buy myself a new Router to replace the original?

I am getting a call back tomorrow morning from TPG support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @Si . If you are on bundled NBN/VOIP plan, you need a router supplied by TPG. If your Archer is "under warranty" they might replace it.

If it's old and you don't use VOIP, or you are on BYO router data only plan, you can buy any compatible router.

Note that for the bundled plan, the router must support VLAN ID setting even if you don't use the phone function.

Regarding the Asus, doing factory reset should enable the wifi networks even in standalone mode. If you can't see them, it's likely its wifi is broken.

You said you configured Asus using ethernet computer. Does the internet actually come up on your computer? And stay up?

On the black HFC box, what is the state of the lights? On all the time or do they flash as well?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @Si . If you are on bundled NBN/VOIP plan, you need a router supplied by TPG. If your Archer is "under warranty" they might replace it.

If it's old and you don't use VOIP, or you are on BYO router data only plan, you can buy any compatible router.

Note that for the bundled plan, the router must support VLAN ID setting even if you don't use the phone function.

Regarding the Asus, doing factory reset should enable the wifi networks even in standalone mode. If you can't see them, it's likely its wifi is broken.

You said you configured Asus using ethernet computer. Does the internet actually come up on your computer? And stay up?

On the black HFC box, what is the state of the lights? On all the time or do they flash as well?

Ahra_G

Hi @Si

We'd be happy to check the status of your service. Any chance you can confirm your service address via PM

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

Si
Level 3
Level 3

That's a good point. Yes, I had my old phone connected into the Archer and yes, I would now be unable to make landline calls.

To confirm, I was able to configure the Asus Router so it got Internet access, thanks in part to a semi-out of date KB on TPG's website.

The NBN HFC box has had 4 solid green lights on it, and when the Archer was rebooting, the lights on the NBN box remained steady. Also, no loss of internet since I connected my Asus router to the NBN box.

Aubrey

Hi @Si, send us your account details via private message and let's check your options for modem replacement. 

Si
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks - spoke to Tech Support again today. As the Router is out of warranty, I have purchased a new one from TPG for $99 (plus shipping).